Tiling onto cement board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a bathroom in a loft extension being constructed.
I have an external flank wall made of aerated blocks, I have 25mm battening fixed to this wall (@ 400 centres) with 25mm PIR insulation between the battens.

I will have a bath and shower against this wall, with the wall acting as part of the shower/bath wall.

It has been advised that where I use cement board against the PIR and battens I have 30-50mm air gap (battened out), as water can soak through the board to the other side.

I understand Hardie backer board will still allow moisture to soak through.

I will tile over the cement board.

Is there anyway to make the cement board 100% waterproof so that moisture cannot penetrate to the other side ?
And is it advisable to leave a gap at the ceiling and floor level for air to flow around the back of the board.

Must admit I have never heard such a weird arrangement - but makes sense, just wondered if their is a better way to put cement board up on a wall.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back