Tiling onto plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I know this has been vauguely touched upon before but I'm really confused now. We recently had our bathroom plastered after stripping it all back to basics and extending it. I'm now looking to tile the area above and around the bath/shower but I was told by someone that you can't tile directly onto plaster. He said i should use a diluted PVA glue as a sealant and bond.

Having read a lot of forums, people seem to be suggesting using tanking kits. I was reluctant to use these having searched for them as they are really expensive (£100), but I've just come across a tanking kit for £27 which includes primer, coating and tape, from trades-direct.co.uk.

Would people agree that this is the best way forward instead of using the PVA? I know that the plaster is porous and so I need to treat the wall first before tiling. Can someone settle this for me once and for all as different people suggest different things.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
For dry areas you should prime as suggested by the maker of your tile adhesive, some say PVA but most will have a suitable acrylic primer. You don't always need a primer but it does give you more working time.

Ideally the wet areas ie shower should be tanked, I usually use BAL which costs about £70 retail for a full kit, the Dunlop one will be OK though you don't get as much material, depends how big a shower you have got.

Jason

As said by Jasonb tanking kits are brilliant, can buy for a lot less. Norcros's kit costs about £45 comes with primer in the kit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back