Tiling over copper pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a new bathroom and am about to install the shower. The two "walls" of the shower are both outside cavity walls and with the space I have, I need to run the 22mm copper pipe in a channel in the wall. (I don't have the space to install a false wall).

My question is, "What can I cover the pipe with before I tile?".

I don't think plastering it in is a good idea but feel I need something as a backing for the grout to rest against. The tiles are large so there shouldn't be too many grout lines coinciding with the channel. One option I considered is expanding foam? Any comments?

Sponsored Links
rightly or wrongly when our bathroom was re done (all new shower/ bath etc) the tiler just tiled over the pipes

Porker said:
My question is, "What can I cover the pipe with before I tile?".

Electricial Insulation tape (tape it along the length of the pipe ( not round & round otherwise you be there all day ! ) or a length of plastic capping cover they use to protect the wire cable or bitumen paint ,then make goods with plaster bonding or sand/cement. I've been told that the cement/plaster eat into the copper pipe but I have cement on my outside copper pipe tap for the last 22 years and it's still there!!

wrap the pipe with insulating tape as stated above, clip it in the chase with nail on clips, then splurge your tile adhesive in the chases so it is level with the rest of the wall, job done!

Sponsored Links
Copper pipes....

Large tiles...so you will need a ...cement based adhesive......

.....=......copper and cement don't ....go together at all...

Change the 22mm to plastic....for a start.....

As for the above replies.....don't follow any off that advice....

Your welcome.... ;)

Considering the thread was from 2003 - who cares?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back