Tiling Over Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post so be gentle. I have just had the plumbers in to fit my new bathroom and now I am left with the job of tiling.
I have had my shower moved from an internal wall to an external wall. A channel has been dug out for the pipe and the pipe is sat inside the channel and has been wrapped in plastic insulating tape.
1. Can I tile straight onto the channel or should I cover it wil some kind of tape first to give a flat surface, or even put mesh over the channel and fill it first.
2. Is the pipe protected enough or do I need to do something else with it.
I have read on these boards about cement corroding copper pipes. The channel is not very big/deep and the pipe pretty much fills it.
3. I have a similar channel dug out for a the wiring. Do I need to do something to this before tiling.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
In addition to gcol,s answer, if possible try to make sure a full tile bridges the gap, ie. do not have your vertical joins over the gap.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help. I was a bit worried about the adhesive damaging the copper pipe after reading some other posts about cement corroding pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back