Tiling question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to start tiling the bathroom, my question is very simple, where do you start. Do you start at the bottom with a full tile so that the inevitable half tile is at the top of the wall (a batton will be nailed one tile hight up level first of course to work up from) or should the half tile be at the bottom.

Also, in corners, is it better to work outwards from a full tile or inwards ending in a cut tile? And, what is the best way to drill a hole in a tile without cracking it?

I plan to also replace the plastic side panel of the bath (cracked) with some sort of board which I would also like to tile

I also intend to put up coving, I have been advised to place the coving on last on top of the tiles?. Note, the tiles being used are the larger retangular ones

any advice / tips would be greatfully received.

Sponsored Links
I would start at the bottom with a full tile because if you are putting coving on then it might cover your cut tiles at the top.Regarding the corners it is good practice to try to create the same size cuts at each side rather than have one row of cuts but it could also depend on any Border tiles you may be using for pattern continuity. A good way of drilling tiles is to put a piece of masking tape on the point you are drilling at to stop the drill bit travelling and you can either use a tile drill bit or a good quality normal masonry bit will do but start it slow and DO NOT use hammer action.The bath panel is probably best done with a simple 2 X 1 studwork with a panel of 9mm Plywood screwed to it .Hope this helps.

The only problem starting full tile at the bottom the floor level could be out of level.Probably best to have 3/4 of tile up from bottom then nail a thin timber (2"x1") level round the room then start full tile from there,next day cut the 3/4 tile at the bottom to what ever height it need,bearing in mind what gap you're going to get at the top.Regarding the coving I would not rather see the coving sitting on the top of the tile,it look better in front of the tile for appearance,this can be done before you grout it by putting nail in between the gap of the tile for the coving to rest on and until it the adhesive bonded to the wall,but make sure the top of the tile is approx 1/4" to 1/2" into the coving so the adhesive can bonded onto the wall as well.I normally have same gap at top,bottom & sides so everything looks equal.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back