Tiling Toilet Hung on Metal Frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have hung a toilet onto a metal frame. I want to box-in the frame with tiling, but I will still want access in the event of something going wrong. Do I get waterproof plasterboard and tile that or do I use exterior plywood? Do I use kitchen sealer on the access holes and how do I secure the covers, so they don’t fall in? Any other tips please?

Sponsored Links
I did the same a year ago and guess what?....i had a leak so had to remove the tiling and boxing in....and all the floor tiles as water got underneath.
Obviously in time something will go wrong...so what i did was use standard MDF in 3 pieces ....i made the middle section so it could be removed just by removing the tiles on the middle section. ( the middle section allows access to the cistern).
Depending on your tile sizes this is the best way.
I used 300mm tall tiles and the middle section i can remove is 2 tiles high.
All i have to do is cut into the grout and then remove the tiles 1 by 1. The top and bottom tiles on the seperate MDF do not need to be trmoved if your careful.
Good luck.

Sponsored Links
MDF is a poor choice & has no place in a bathroom; plasterboard isn’t robust enough for a removable panel & I would not advise ply either. I construct all my services access panels from 12.5mm cement based tile backer board fitted with a steel stop edge bead. You can either tile over this or plaster it as long as you prep it right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back