timber frame inner walls to floor joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help again please... ;)

for my timber frame smallish extension (with brick outer wall) 7m x3m I am wanting to build the timber frame wall sections in advance. Whilst I have seen you can build floor joists into timber frame walls like below fig A I am thinking I would prefer to build more like fig B as this might be a little less difficult for an amateur like me :confused: . (I am thinking I can get the walls and roof up and make it watertight and then come back to doing the floor joists). Appreciate I would have to make a dwarf wall for this option and it may be more time consuming than fig A.

Would much appreciate comments from the build experts here please who have done the timber frame extensions on using either B or A option please. (I am trying to settle this in order to plan my timber frmae wall heights for build) Confusingly my plans show both a dwarf wall on one detail and a built in type wall on another for the same area.

View media item 7712 View media item 7713

Sponsored Links
Who did the plans? Looks like the drawings and the terminology has been copied direct from a book :rolleyes:

Fig b is a pointless method as it involves more work, more materials and necessary design

You are doing a timber frame, so there is no reason why the floor is not incorporated into the whole lot. Make as much as you can in timber to get the shell up. A timber floor as in fig A, is less work for an amateur

With timber frames you work on a modular panel - which is determined by the sheathing size - normally 1200x2400, but a tip from me - some sheets are still in imperial size so it works out at 1220x2440 and can really f*** up your plans if you don't realise until you have made them and come to install them :oops:

So aim for a ceiling height of 2400 and make the panels and then just bolt them together.

Get the floor in first and work off it.

Be careful to detail the floor/wall and roof/wall junction to avoid a thermal bridge or cold spot

Thanks again woody you are a star ! very helpful :D (the fig A and B are not exact copies from my plans but the same as shown in my plans) That’s me decided - going for the “fig A” option.

What got me wondering is although my plans show a detail same as “fig A” they also show a dwarf wall in the attached cross section (you see it bottom right in the left figure in the attached). :confused:

Sponsored Links
i was thinking because i had big patio doors in the middle of the exterior wall shown in that cross section that i needed a dwarf wall for some reason i couldn't work out - (i guess that's a load of rubbish)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back