Timber Size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I order a load of 6x2s that are 4.8M in length are any of them likely to be short ?

By short I'd say more than 10mm short - i.e. 4790mm or less ?

Now I know TP isn't everyone's favourite merchant but they are the only yard close to me so makes economic sense. And I know this post gives those that hate said merchant a free ticket to say how bad they are but in practice is this quite likely to happen? Obviously too big or inconsistent isn't great but I can saw off what I don't need. And if any are too small could I get the fkers to come back and replace ?

Sponsored Links
It may be the correct length, but whether it is straight and true, is a completely different matter!
I've found the quality of the product depends on how good the TP yard picker is...

Sponsored Links
If I order a load of 6x2s that are 4.8M in length are any of them likely to be short ?

By short I'd say more than 10mm short - i.e. 4790mm or less ?

Now I know TP isn't everyone's favourite merchant but they are the only yard close to me so makes economic sense. And I know this post gives those that hate said merchant a free ticket to say how bad they are but in practice is this quite likely to happen? Obviously too big or inconsistent isn't great but I can saw off what I don't need. And if any are too small could I get the fkers to come back and replace ?
I recently bought some 6 x 2 4.8m from Wickes -they were around 4815 long and were surprisingly straight and decent timber -its delivered direct from their supplier

my guess is that TPs will have a policy on acceptable length variance and will be plus and minus -so I doubt you can guarantee they will be 4.8m long minimum

why do you need them that length?

New floor above the snooker room.

Sorry couldn't resist it. You've been helpful to me in the past please don't hold it against me !

any actual reason for your concern ??
just wondering as iff your worried about say25mm short we may find other ways to alleviate your concerns

Yes 25mm short wouldn't be great. I was just wondering in the real world if I order a 4.8M length do I get a 4.8M length? If they deliver 4775mm instead could I get them to replace them? At 20 something quid a go they are not cheap.

they tend to be more 12-20mm over from my experiance because moisture can increase length very slightly indeed fractionally as timber is 99.9 stable over length so cut will be perhaps 4.8m +/-10mm as moisture stable but expand slightly so slight excess in my experiance but sub 25mm +/- as i say 16mm + comes to mind

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back