timber stable doors- any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone got experience of a timber stable door? I am in the process of getting a quote for getting one made by the joiners who made our timber windows. But speaking to a chippie yesterday has put me off!
He said he has one, and even though he paid a lot for it, it has warped and twisted.
I am seriously thinking of cancelling this idea and getting a quote on a full sized door instead.
I would be grateful for any information received...good or bad.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
they are handy for keeping children and small dogs inside, and casual visitors out, while allowing light and air into a hall or kitchen. But really, if it is an external door, you need a lock on each half, even though the designer will tell you that the lock on the top half will stop the bottom half being opened.

What made you want a stable door?

strange comment from a chippie :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

if you use the identical bits of wood to make a stable door and a normal door and the wood mooves identicaly the normal door will be better placed to resist movement because of construction but not greatly more

and the stable door because its in two halves will only distort half as much per half

i make many stable doors and like any good chippy you choose your timber season it to the correct moisture level for application then you work it

Sponsored Links
JohnD
they are handy for keeping children and small dogs inside, and casual visitors out, while allowing light and air into a hall or kitchen.

They are also handy for keeping small children, animals and nosy neighbours OUT! :)
Why do I want a stable door? I wonder why you ask that question? Are they a bit naff now or something? Basically for the reasons you stated. I think it will be very practical and give more light and air into a very hot kitchen, yet giving a little bit extra security than just leaving the door wide open.
Well...Are they naff?? :confused:
Thanks for your comments.

Big-all:
strange comment from a chippie

If you knew this chippie, you would understand! :rolleyes: The chippie is not making the door, he was just speaking from experience cos he has a stable door and has had problems with warping and twisting top and bottom. The joiner is making the door, he has made all our timber windows very well and we trust him to make a good job of it.
Thanks for your help.

Nose-all: stable door, noooooooo.

why not??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back