Timber windows - what to spec and pay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm intending to replace 7 windows this year, they're all on the first floor and absolutely ancient. Some have been intentionally sealed shut because they are so fragile, I've been told they're about 100 years old.

So I want to get replacement windows. Approx window sizes are 1.5m x 1m (3 of) 1.2m x 1m (3 of) and 1m x 1m (1 of). So in total about 9.1sqm. They are all flush casement windows with bars.

I've had a few quotations in so far, they seem to vary massively in range. E.G. One for supply and fitting is £13k+VAT, I can't help thinking this is rip-off Britain. Another quote is less than half this, but then you start thinking about whether quality is comparable, etc?

What should I spec for windows? The options seem to be:
- Softwood, hardwood, engineered softwood
- Aluminium cladding
- Triple glazing
- Heat reflective coatings
- Inert gas filling

Also I've seen quite a bit of talk saying it can make sense ordering windows from abroad and getting a decent local tradesman to fit them.

Any words of wisdom and advice, or recommended companies?

Sponsored Links
It's not that hard to fit casement windows but you will have to pay your local council a fee to inspect afterwards.
The spec is up to you but it will have to meet current building regs, ask the suppliers for a U value as that will give you a comparison.
I would go for engineered softwood then painted with Dulux Weathershield.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back