timer for outside lights

S

skuba

hi

the old timer i have more my outside lights has broken. you can still flick the lights on and off manually, but the clock doesn't turn. please see picture...
l_0caac3afa7194ed891a1d9dcc38ec2a9.jpg

would it be possible to replace it with a more modern digital timer that i could program?

many thanks

john

Sponsored Links
yes use any single channel programmer, (ie one for a combi with heating only)

Consider the ratings of the timer contacts if they are switching the load directly. Central heating timers are often only rated at a couple of Amps, that's about 500 Watts. Timers designed for immersion heaters usually have a higher current rating, usually about 13 Amps or 3000 Watts.

I recognise from the photograph that it's a Sangamo mechanical timer, they usually last forever. I have two that are over 20 years old and still work.

I can't tell from your photo, but some of these models have a "sliding tappet" that makes an automatic adjustment to allow for the changing daylight hours according to the time of year. If you do have this facility you will loose it if you change to a standard timeswitch.

If you don't want to change the wiring, Samgamo still make the mechanical timers just pull the old one out of the black housing and plug in the new one. They also make electronic versions and a version that switches on using a photocell that detect when it gets dark and then turns off at a set time.

Sponsored Links
And fix those cables to the wall - you're currently using the main earth cable to support others...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back