Unvented Cynlinder Issue - Clock Timer not working?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Total DIY novice here and wondered if you guys could help,

I have an unvented hot water cylinder that is attached to a clock timer. I noticed yesterday that we had no hot water (its better than happening in the winter, but still annoying!).

Upon checking, it appears that the 'on' light on the clock timer no longer flicks on. The clock timer is still ticking and seems to be working OK, it still 'clicks' on but clearly is not passing electricity onto the boiler. I have an image of the setup attached...
emAgqF

So, before I go out and buy another, as a total novice am I reading this correctly? and how hard are these timers to replace? is it worth unscrewing and seeing if there is a way to fix it first?

Thanks for all help!

Attachments

• 20170709_214210.jpg
    20170709_214210.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 153
Sponsored Links
is it worth unscrewing and seeing if there is a way to fix it first?
You probably won't be able to fix it if it is faulty but worth having a look at the wiring.

The wiring sometimes overheats and burns away and melts the timer.

Switch off the power and take off the cover and post another picture.

Thanks for your responses,

I have attached picture of the timer with the cover off, no obvious damage to the wiring. Also attached a better view of the pipes, I did have some problems with these (the unit was installed before I moved in) the overflow was leaking, I had a plumber out who rearranged and installed the overflow pipe, no leaking since.

So looking like a new clock timer required? how easy are these to install?

thanks for your help again!

Attachments

• 20170710_211442.jpg
    20170710_211442.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 20170710_211457.jpg
    20170710_211457.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 121
  • 20170710_211502.jpg
    20170710_211502.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 139
Sponsored Links
I think we shall have to assume the timer has failed.
As you can see, it's not difficult to replace.

It looks like the two wires on the right go into the same terminal.
As it used to work, obviously this cannot be the case - anyway, it wouldn't stop the light working.

Thanks for the response EFL, yes there is a manual switch on the side to turn the power/heating on or off and overriding the timer. Have tried flicking this and it still doesn't work. Also tried applying pressure incase it was loose but seemed fine.

I'll buy another timer and try that, assume it doesn't need anyone qualified to do it or check it?

Before you go buying a new one and guessing it is the problem.

I assume that you do not have any test meters or other two-probe voltage measuring devices? If you do, then measure to see if thereis mains voltage to the input of the timer, and that you get mains voltage on the output when the timer is ON.

If you don't have any test equipment.
Turn off the FCU first! Get a bit of insulated choc bloc and simply bypass the timer (join brown to brown, blue to blue and earth to earth).
Turn FCU back on and wait to see if the water heats. If it does, you need a new timer. If the water stays cold then you have something else wrong.

Can you post more pictures of the pipework - looks wrong in the picture.

Looks correctly connected, but poorly implemented. Pressure regulator feeds the cold inlet through a pressure relief valve and there is a separate PRV on the cylinder both connected to the discharge pipework.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back