TNS Supply and Earth arrangement query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
This is my first post so please be gentle :)...

I live in a ground floor flat that is served by what i believe to be a TNS supply in the communal hallway. Having read around these forums, I'm fairly sure the earth is soldered to the lead sheath and is then joined on a small MET, where the earth cables are distributed. These are then clamped to the two separate metallic sheathed supplies for each flat.

View media item 39894
View media item 39895
My queries are:

Firstly is this safe? And if not who should address it the electricity supplier or an electrician?

Southern gas have recently moved my gas meter outside without bonding to it in anyway. Should the MET be used to provide the main conductive bonding or the earth bar in my CU?

thanks - Colin

Sponsored Links
All before the meter is done by electricity supplier so it would seem from pictures it is the supplier who would need to redress any problems.

As to if there is a problem that's another story. There are a few things which seem a little odd. Looks like mineral insulated cable and I wonder why the earth camps are on it. If I was called to job I would measure the earth loop impedance if that was within limits I would not worry too much.

From picture the earth wires seem a little on the small size but hard to tell from a picture.

As to Gas it should be bonded but with flats and the distance between meters it does again need some common sense as to where to bond.

Really it needs some one to be on site not just pictures. The question is why do you think it's not safe? If you have had shocks then the situation is very different to just not liking the look of it. Also if wired to 17th Edition with RCD's on all circuits again very different to an old house still using rubber cable and 5 + 15 amp sockets.

In real terms it is rare to get a shock due to one fault normally it is a collection of faults which cause the problems. Although you may get visible items modified or changed you can't see what other faults there are and it could well have a fault under the ground. So if you are worried then get an electrical insulation condition report and then the cables will be tested not just looked at.

Personally I would not think you have anything to worry about. But if you are then get some one to call and look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back