To batten a shed or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had the phone call I did not want...'I've got the felt can you come round and do the shed'? I look after this lady's garden and she thinks that makes me an expert at refelting her shed.

It appears the rain is leaking through the nail fixing points.

I am dreading fixing the new felt with clout nails and water seeping through. Seems strange to lay a waterproof cover and then puncture it with lots of nails.

I was wondering about laying the felt and then then securing the lower edge of the felt with wooden battens.

Any info on the do's and don'ts of felting appreciated.

Norman

Sponsored Links
Your wooden battens would hold the felt down better, but presumably there will be perforations where you fix these?
The correct way - if there is a correct way with shed roofs - is to tuck the felt under the roof panel and nail it there. Of course, felt doesn't like to fold in this temperature.....
You could paint some Aquaseal over the heads of the clout nails, I suppose.
John :)

Seems strange to lay a waterproof cover and then puncture it with lots of nails.

Especially when you can buy mastic and stick the felt to the roof. Built my shed over 20 years ago, it's still got original felt and it has never leaked.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back