To finish with Paint or Wet n dry?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I had a decorator round today quoting to do the hall stairs and landing. There is a lot of woodwork to go through!

I have emphasised the fact that the main focus is on quality rather than speed and cost (I want a top end job).

I am going for an eggshell white finish on stair posts / spindles / skirting and door frames with a decent solvent based paint (not water).

I know a bit about this topic but by no means am an expert and am well aware of the 'in between coats' rubbing down to get a good finish.

However, and I really hope someone on here will tell me I am wrong, I always thought you finished with simply the final good fine coat of paint NOT 400 Wet n Dry (wet). This is what the decorator has recommended to get the best finish - that is last thing he does is wet n dry (not paint). I kind of understand the thought process here, because obviously he will achieve that incredible fine finish you get once you have completed the wet n Dry. And not the slightly rougher paint finish. But with risk of repeating myself, just thought you finished on paint (not wet n dry).

Could anyone tell me if this chap knows what he is talking about before I part with a reasonable sum of money. Sounds wrong to me.

P.s - Anyone know of the best solvent based eggshell on the market for hall stair spindles / skirting / door frames etc?

Thank you!

Chris.

Sponsored Links
400 grade is way to low for what he has in mind, needs something more like 1500-2000, he will remove paint with 400. That said though i really don't see the need, for a top finish on gloss (gras a lacquer and spachtel aside) u/c followed by top coat which you wet abrade and then another top coat.
You really wouldn't see any difference on eggshell, once its obliterated further coats won't have much effect.
Little green is probably the best oil based eggshell, like all OB paints likely to prematurely yellow though. The sikkens BL satura has a very low sheen for a satin and IMO its a much better option than OB eggshell.

Thanks for your response DcDec. I was half expecting the same, I completely understand that if you use 400 over finished, paint, you are going to cause all sorts of problems such as paint loss and blemishes etc.

I'm with you, would rather the use of 400 paper limited to the in between preparation. I've had a look at the reviews of sikkens BL satura which seem very good, so am more than likely going for that, also has the bonus of easy paint brush cleaning!

Damn - back to square one on my research for finding a decent decorator now!

Thanks.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back