To MOD the mad deleter of questions

i am not actualy critisizing the mods they do the job to best off there ability ;)

its just the interpritation of when to apply the guidlines unfortunatly can come accross in some instances as a bit unfreindly and unwelcoming
as it only ever applies to newbies as anyone with more than a dozen postings has probbably seen the "warnings" :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Sponsored Links
Personally, I rather like the 'How much', questions. Can be useful to trades and customers as well as funny sometimes!

Sponsored Links
DIYnot said:
The reason questions regarding pricing are not encouraged are nothing to do with advertising, it's to do with the fact that in most cases it is impossible to accurately quote 'remotely' due to regional variations in pricing and the different aspects/circumstances related to a job that are not described (or describable) in the question which therefore make any answers incomparable to any real world quotes. In any case I would class this as a guideline rather than a rule, which is intended to help and not mislead members.
:)

Fine, Agile has said it all.

Someone asks, "How much roughly would it cost to fit a boiler if I get the boiler?"

Anything between £500 and £2500, depending on where you are, who does it, what sort of problems you have.

What's so bad about this that the MODS have to censor it?

It's as if the MODS are trying to recover from the beatings they got from the ROCKERS in the 1960s.

OK folks, who want's to know how much something might cost?

How much to replace my stone-age boiler with a worcester greenstar?

aargh, just realised this will get deleted and then moved to plumbing; or will it get moved to plumbing first; or will it need moving at all once it's been deleted?

petewood said:
How much to replace my stone-age boiler with a worcester greenstar?

aargh, just realised this will get deleted and then moved to plumbing; or will it get moved to plumbing first; or will it need moving at all once it's been deleted?

I'll do it for less than £4,000, what's your phone number? or post your email address, that'll get deleted too. :D

I think you're all missing the point.

You read the rules before you sign up :confused:

And I'm unaware of anybody getting their arm broken or press ganged into signing up.

I can only say one thing;

If you don't like the rules BYE BYE :LOL:

I've been on this board about a year, a year and a half. Something like that.

People have always come on here and asked "How much to replace my Wylex fuseboard with a Gloworm Combi Boiler, and I don't want to pay more than 30 pence" from time to time. However, I have noticed a sharp increase in such questions in the last couple of months.

In fact, the increase in these posts seems to have coincided with the slowing of the property market... Perhaps people are finding that sticking down £5-worth of laminate floor is no longer sufficient to sell a house at a "profit", and coming on here to ask how to improve their homes? Whereas those who have been here longer are into DIY for the sake of DIY, Tim "The Toolman" Taylor style. Ugh ugh ugh! :LOL:

If you're not convinced at that... be fair to the Mods: 90% of the deleted posts have been over rather more contentious issues in General Chat than over "How much would it cost to have all the nails in my house replaced with screws, by a circus elephant in the Wakefield area?". I had one deleted the other day, presumably due to my "astronomically" bad pun (I said "Sirius-ly" in the post about the asteroid :oops: )

doitall said:
I think you're all missing the point.

You read the rules before you sign up :confused:

And I'm unaware of anybody getting their arm broken or press ganged into signing up.

I can only say one thing;

If you don't like the rules BYE BYE :LOL:

I don't recall exactly what the rules were in September 2003, but they were certainly nowhere near as extensive as they are now.

Can you post a copy of the rules as they were in 2003?

I hope your last sentence was just a joke, as otherwise I think you might find support from admin a little lacking.

oilman, you forgot this "note"
These guidelines / rules are subject to change without prior notice. Please check them regularly

how can any one post a copy of the rules as was in september 2003?

you also forget / dont mention that in 2003 there were no where near as many posts or members, if something is to continue it must evolve, the rules seem to change with the times.

you are just trying to wind us up arent you, admit it, you are hooked on this site just like the rest of us, as doitall said, no one is getting forced to post, people will come and go, some like you,me, ban,pip,kev (sorry if i missed you) like it here, do we miss the banned ones? no. so i would have to agree if you dont like it (nothing personal) then go, no one is indespensable, nd one day i may even press the "Spell Check" button.

just take the forum as it is

If it's been continually changing how can any one know what it IS? It might be different by now.

As for saying who has got a copy of the rules as it was in 2003, this just indicates the whole system is out of control, and people are changing the rules willy-nilly (I suppose that'll get auto-censored).

I don't see why we can't have price/cost questions and after all, if you don't like it (nothing personal) you can go. I seem to recall it was your continually banging away about price questions that eventually got turned into a rule, well perhaps it should be repealed.

Perhaps, as our beloved prime minister might say, this is a rule whose time has come...................to be scrapped.

Sponsored Links
Back