To rewire or not?

Sponsored Links
Thanks folks - yes rough diamond is what this cottage is (I will be posting shortly about the fireplace) but at least I am hopefully getting it at a price to reflect the work needed.
Maybe I should invite you all to a DIY house party ha ha. I could do with an electrician, a builder, a plasterer, a plumber, a HETAS bod..... Where's 60 Minute Makeover when you need it?

PS it's a lovely part of Cumbria. Bring a bottle and a trowel :mrgreen:

[url=http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Freeman_Dyson]Freeman Dyson[/url] said:
A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible.
This is true. a good engineer designing a product that will reliably provide a function for the end user will use proven technology as far as possible. Leading edge technology is often high risk.

Often a new technology is developed and then the task is to find a market for it. Making people believe they must have the item when they don't really need it.

Sponsored Links
[url=http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Freeman_Dyson]Freeman Dyson[/url] said:
A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible.
This is true. a good engineer designing a product that will reliably provide a function for the end user will use proven technology as far as possible. Leading edge technology is often high risk.
Indeed - but, in addition to that, as I said, 'off-the-shelf' technology is not only 'tried and tested' but is also likely to be much more readily maintained (or, indeed, replaced if necessary). 'One-offs' (whether or not they use 'cutting edge' technology) are fine so long as they remain under the control of the designer, but may otherwise present problems of maintenance, and often can't even be 'replaced' by others with any ease.

Kind Regards, John

As a design engineer NOTHING I do is off the shelf.
See for me (also as a design engineer) its the other way round.

Everything I can have off the shelf I will have of the shelf, I am very prepared to spend money and make compromises if it saves my time and allows failed parts to be swapped out with ease. Life is too short.

For lights, I must say, I find a switch works really well, on for 'I want light now' off for 'I don't want/need lights anymore' and some nice current carrying copper in between. KISS.

I do have a heated bathroom mirror, which required me to combine a heating unit with a mirror of choice, comes on with a second pull cord which also runs the fan.

But lighting wise only thing I would consider going more complex that what is available at screwfix would be a solution to dimming the living room and dinning room lights without having to listen to a 50hz humm on wall of the very room I am trying to relax in. Otherwise, all other rooms are on cheap non-dimming CFLs and LEDs anyway.

Daniel

For lights, I must say, I find a switch works really well, on for 'I want light now' off for 'I don't want/need lights anymore' and some nice current carrying copper in between. KISS.
In principle, I feel the same. However, one has to remember, in the context of this thread, that the discussion arose in relation to a means of having ELV wiring to light switches - not necessarily for any 'clever' ('automation') reason, but in order to avoid having LV switch wiring.

Kind Regards, John

I would love to see the "home report" when you do sell :LOL:

No matter what, you will be regarded as a boffin ! " we strongly advise a rewire" ........

Regards,

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back