Toblerone reduced by 10% (but not in price) in UK

Those damn Swiss. I've just bought a Rolex off ebay and they've reduced the hours from 12 to 10 :mad:

Sponsored Links
Which of these do you think is connected to the 10% increase in Toblerone cost?
Obviously not the pound.
1) Toblerone is manufactured on the continent so the value of the pound has no effect on their costs;
2) It takes months to redesign a product, order the tooling and revise the production line. It's only been 4 months since the referndum.

When Kraft reduced the size of the Dairy Milk, reduced the amount of cocoa solids in Wispa, reduced the Creme egg packs from six to five, reduced the size of Roses, I suppose that was due to Brexit too?

Last edited:
Obviously not the pound.
1) Toblerone is manufactured on the continent so the value of the pound has no effect on their overheads
You choose to ignore (a) material costs and (b) that a 1-Euro thing imported from Europe now costs about a pound, instead of about 80p as it used to.

You choose to ignore (a) material costs
What materials do they buy in pounds, i.e. from the UK?

and (b) that a 1-Euro thing imported from Europe now costs about a pound, instead of about 80p as it used to.
So? That would push up the UK distributors buying price but not the original manufacturing cost. Are you claiming Kraft just spend thouands on new tooling to produce a bar purely for the UK market, purely so they could keep the box the same size while allowing it to retail at the same price?
mr_bean_what___meme_by_josael281999-d81mvxb.png

Sponsored Links
Are you claiming Kraft just spend thouands on new tooling to produce a bar purely for the UK market, purely so they could keep the box the same size while allowing it to retail at the same price?

Are you mad?

The UK distributor now imports a thing that costs it 20% more pounds than it used to... and you find it difficult to comprehend that they increase the effective selling price of the chocolate?

The UK distributor now imports a thing that costs it 20% more pounds than it used to... and you find it difficult to comprehend that they increase the effective selling price of the chocolate?
No, you're claiming a non-UK manufacturer has completely changed a product because of the value of the pound!

Let me guess, if Hostess reduce the size of Twinkies, that's Brexit too?

Mondelez had the options of

- reducing their profit
- increasing the price
- reducing the quantity

One of these options was unthinkable.

One of them would have met consumer resistance

So they chose the one best for themselves.

I am stunned by your inability to comprehend this.

I am less stunned that you don't know what "completely" means.

Mondelez had the options of
- reducing their profit
- increasing the price
- reducing the quantity
One of these options was unthinkable.
So you agree it has nothing to do with Brexit, then? They don't buy materials in pounds (nothing to do with Brexit); the global price of cocoa (or whatever) has gone up (nothing to do with Brexit); therefore they have redesigned the bar. This affects their world market equally -it's not UK specific.

Last edited:
I used to pay for a drum of 4 core Belden wire manufactured by Alpha wire (USA company) I paid £52.00 a drum back in 2008, by earlier this year the price had risen to just £62.00 for this 500feet length drum, that was a tolerable rise, after Brexit, the price rose to £98.00. That is criminal!

For those who can't think in their head, price rose by £10.00 over a span of 8 years, whilst after brexit it rose by £36.00, % increase is 58% in just a few months after Brexit

PCB supplies (bare material gone up by 30%)

Last edited:
They don't buy materials in pounds .

The UK subsidiary does not manufacture Toblerone.

It sells the stuff to people in the UK for Pounds.

It uses these pounds to buy Toblerone from Switzerland. Whether it pays Switzerland in pounds, or uses the pounds to buy currency (more usual) it has to pay more pounds when the value of the pound drops, as it has.

This is so simple that I suspect you are just pretending not to grasp it.

It uses these pounds to buy Toblerone from Switzerland.
What, and told the Swiss manufacturer "please redesign your bar just for us"? You're not making sense. You're not blaming a simple consumer price rise on Brexit (which would make sense), you're blaming a radical product redesign by a non-UK manufacturer on Brexit. Redesigns take months and must have been proposed even before the referendum. This is such a simple distinction that I suspect you are just pretending not to grasp it.

Poor old gerry persists in his fantasy that a drop in value of the pound doesn't push up the cost of imports.

Poor old gerry persists in his fantasy that a drop in value of the pound doesn't push up the cost of imports.
Poor old John persist in his fantasy that foreign manufacturers change products in a matter of weeks purely for the UK market.

Perhaps a more interesting question would be: if this is all due to the falling pound, why didn't they simply admit it? "This change wasn't done as a result of Brexit." Why hide it?

Sponsored Links