Toilet blockage, Soil pipe leaking outside

Sponsored Links
Can't you try plunging it at least first?

I had a similar problem recently, albeit without the leak, and was advised on here to:

flush the toilet until full then plunge it using an old-fashioned 'woolly' mop with a plastic bag over the head (the mop's, not yours).

I couldn't believe how well it worked.

The trouble is, if the stack is blocked, when it is plunged nothing happens as there is no pressure due to the vent on the stack.

Andy

Sponsored Links
drain1_zps8dd845d7.jpg

Where the soil pipe connects into the Tee of the stack it appears to be push fit, might be worth going up a ladder (With a Stand off to make things easy) lift up the PVC soil away from the main stack and you may be able to move the blockage, I would guess that would be the way the Emergency plumber would tackle the job first, its going to be awkward and you will probably end up covered in sh one t ,
but if its going to save you 125 odd squid for a ten minute job it might be worth it.
You will have to reseal the joint when you push it back into the tee,

Bought some drain rods, first thing I caught?

WP_20140525_002_zpsb19bc620.jpg

Another drain rod. :rolleyes:

I tried sticking the plastic pipe in but it won't budge, not sure if I could dislodge it but that would help.

Spent a few hours faffing with rod and hose pipe and did move some 'debris' but whilst progress is slowing - thought I might be reaching the end - the joint still leaks all the flushed water out.

Will get back on it tomorrow morning and ring dynorod if I fail.

Still at it. How much crap can one stack hold!?

This is bleedin tortuously slow progress. :(

Good luck keep going.

finding the old drain rod screw indicates there has been an ongoing problem with the stack before you moved in .
My money is still on a blockage around the Tee into the stack pipe.

Still at it. How much crap can one stack hold!?

This is bleedin tortuously slow progress. :(

Good luck keep going.

finding the old drain rod screw indicates there has been an ongoing problem with the stack before you moved in .
My money is still on a blockage around the Tee into the stack pipe.

cheers, I'm soaked through (with rain!) and getting diminishing returns, managed to get the plunger fixture of the rod right up to the bottom of the stack - did nothing. Gave up and showered.

The missus' old man is coming tomorrow with his ladders so I'll pass on your advice and watch him get covered in my effluence. I'm guessing that will harm relations but it's a risk I'm willing to take.

I tried to dislodge the plastic pipe but no go, it won't budge!

In fact it's leaking a bit from the old asbestos pipe now so I must have knackered that too. Great!

Fella coming tomorrow to take a look and if he can't sort it he knows a builder, maybe he can replace the whole thing.

Quite willing to pay one just to never have this problem again. :mad:

Well he came and advised removing the plastic pipe from the toilet end - then pulling the T joint end out.

Then he buggered off. :confused:

I ignored his advise and ****ted the thing with a big plank. Will. Not. Budge.

I did manage to disturb another part of the asbestos pipe though, so now I have one more leak.

It may be worth chopping the soil pipe off at ground level and replacing with PVC, would not cost a lot, ( probably no more than £100) it looks like the Brown soil pipe might be undergound soil, the grey or black PVC is cheaper its basically all push fit, just a bit of a problem working off a ladder. a mornings work at most , you could cut the section just below the soffit board and push the PVC (Female end ) onto the original Soil that goes above the roof so it will not disturb any flashing.
Go to your local Plumbers outlet they will advise you on fittings,
You probably will need a Flexi Coupling at ground level , or a single socket/spigot coupler which will push into the exsisting fitting.
And an Access branch might be an idea in case of future blockages.

ae235
ae235
ae235

+ 1 with bosswhite
cut that out and start again,you would have sorted it by now bud if you had gone down that route
screwfix - 2 x 3mt lengths £21
access bend £20
5 clips £6
looks like yours kicks out at the guttering so 2 x 45 degree bends £18
bird vent £2
got that fitting on my own house (l/h photo), not keen but its on now.not long after i was in city plumbing and a lad bought a fitting for a similar price thats better.goes inside on the lower part, not unlike a pan connector.it looks better than the jubilee clip fitting

Cheers for all the advice lads but the only way I'm going up a ladder is if it's down a hole!

I did manage to get the plastic pipe off today, had the drain rods down the stack, they reached near the bottom but no amount of prodding and twisting worked. Did another hour rodding from the other end too.

Poured boiling water down (again) and a big bottle of bleach.

Ended up ringing a local firm to come tomorrow. Bit gutted after 3 days of rodding - blisters on my blisters!

That stack is definitely getting replaced though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back