Toilet Cistern and Internal Overflow

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by TheBigMatt, 10 Mar 2007.

1. TheBigMatt

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi All, (again!!!)

Can you tell me if an Internal Overflow is part of the cistern itself (cast into the ceramic) or a function of a particular type of Siphon??

I have purchased a bathroom suite, the cistern is close coupled with all the holes i expected for a conventional siphon/overflow.

In the bag with the Internals is a blanking plug for the overflow hole (the instructions say to use this if you have an internal overflow).

Should i assume that the fittings are "universal" and that my cistern will not support an internal overflow

OR

That the internals that came with the suite are a cheap conventional set that i could replace with a more expensive siphon that has an internal overflow, and that i can do away with the external overflow pipe??

Any advice appreciated.

Regards Matt

2. Lagerkhan

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's part of the syphon and the best thing since sliced bread:cool:

3. wonderb0y

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's part of the syphon and if water overflows if goes back into the pan through the same way the water empties from the cistern.

cheap or not it could still have an internal overflow, you can usually tell by a large pipe in the middle of the syphon above the water mark.

and yup best thing since sliced bread

4. TheBigMatt

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks LagerKhan,

you just made me a happy man....now all i have to do is hope the blanking plug won't leak.........LOL

5. Softus

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Al cisterns internally overflow, it's just a questions of whether or not they do it before the water reaches another outlet, e.g. external overflow or handle hole. ;)

6. TheBigMatt

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Larf!!!!!!!!

on a serious note, anyone recommend a particular brand/type??

Just so i can go to the Plumbers Merchants and not sound like a numpty to the man in the brown coat.....

Matt

7. jay1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Should i assume that the fittings are "universal" and that my cistern will not support an internal overflow

OR

That the internals that came with the suite are a cheap conventional set that i could replace with a more expensive siphon that has an internal overflow, and that i can do away with the external overflow pipe??

nope your cistern should support an internal overflow as all the above ppl have said,,and the internals that came with the suite shouldnt need to be changed unless it is faulty

In the bag with the Internals is a blanking plug for the overflow hole (the instructions say to use this if you have an internal overflow).

i had the same sort of instruction on a close coupled w.c that i fitted but the internal overflow worked fine.

8. Softus

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Er, I was being serious. :(