Toilet Fill Valve Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

We have a problem with our downstairs loo - it is making a fog horn type noise when it flushes. The neighbours toilet also did this (we heard it though the walls), but they have since moved out so are not around to ask....

Basically I think that the fill valve needs changing. I have bought one from B&Q but this is 9" - probably about 2" too high for the cistern.

Does anyone know where in the UK I can get a smaller one - tried screwfix website and B&Q again but they all seem around the 9"-14" mark....

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It only needs the diaphragm washer changing, costs about a quid & takes 5 minutes to fit.

Thanks for the help. Do you know where there could be any instructions on how to replace the diaphragm washer?

:confused:

Sponsored Links
There's sure to be some diagrams somewhere...Readers Digest sort of stuff maybe, or even look at the pack of a new one - but the washer that you need is behind a large plastic nut, which may or may not be easy to shift. Make sure the whole valve is supported though as they can crack near the base if its getting on a bit, and take note of which way round the washer goes.
John :)

Many thanks for your help all - got it sorted!!! Very quick job to do (fortunately all nuts were ok to open) and cost 99p for 5 new washers!! Very happy :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back