toilet fixings sheared and seized

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope fully one of you kind gentlemen have had this very problem and can help me out here.

I had to take the Toilet pan out to replace the pan connector that had developed a leak. The first problem was the screws that fasten the pan to the tiled concrete floor would not budge, so much so that I ended up stripping the pozi drive heads of the screws, so my next idea was to cut away the nylon bushes that protect the pan with a stanley knife and a very narrow screw driver, which i successfully did, and then lifted the pan off the screws to expose a good portion of the screws so that I could get some mole grips on them and extract them that way, or so I thought! The screws sheared off at tile level because they were seized and corroded, so I`m now left with screw stubs in a plastic plug in the floor and now cannot secure the pan to the floor until I remove the screw remenents. For now I have a toilet that is not fixed down and can move if you`re not careful, has any one any idea how to remove these screw stubs so that I can put fresh screws in?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
silicone it to the floor.

I`ve thought about that, but was n`t sure it would be strong enough to hold it. It`s the only toilet in the house and with 4 people living here someone would surely want the toilet before the silicon went off

Either -

A) Use a small HSS drill bit to drill out the screw, screw another screw into what's left of the plug and pull it out with grips/claw hammer

or

B) Use an HSS bit the same size as the hole in the floor to blitz the remains of old screw and plug. Use new plug and stainless steel screw.

P.S. The silicone is plenty strong enough to hold, but would need to be left undisturbed for several hours to set.

Either -

A) Use a small HSS drill bit to drill out the screw, screw another screw into what's left of the plug and pull it out with grips/claw hammer

or

B) Use an HSS bit the same size as the hole in the floor to blitz the remains of old screw and plug. Use new plug and stainless steel screw.

P.S. The silicone is plenty strong enough to hold, but would need to be left undisturbed for several hours to set.

Think I`ll try this, not sure what diameter the plug is, I`m guessing it`s 8mm as the new fixing kit has 8mm plugs

Either -

or

Think I`ll try this, not sure what diameter the plug is, I`m guessing it`s 8mm as the new fixing kit has 8mm plugs

Should be OK , as long as the HSS bit isn't bigger than the hole in the floor.

Should have said - if using 1st option, don't screw the screw too far into the old plug in the floor. If you do, you will expand the old plug and make removal difficult.

Either -

or

Should be OK , as long as the HSS bit isn't bigger than the hole in the floor.

Should have said - if using 1st option, don't screw the screw too far into the old plug in the floor. If you do, you will expand the old plug and make removal difficult.

What size drill bit would you use for option A?

Approx same diameter as broken screw. Not critical. Just big enough to drill out the screw so that the plug loosens it's grip on the hole.

Years ago i worked a lot on new builds in the Bristol area and we would bed them on mortar without using screws.
Whitespirit 66 might have come across a few of mine and cursed out loud...lol

Years ago i worked a lot on new builds in the Bristol area and we would bed them on mortar without using screws.
Whitespirit 66 might have come across a few of mine and cursed out loud...lol

Used to work with an old boy years ago who would bed all his pans on mortar if it was a solid floor. I would have had the whole wc fitted and working and be having a fag break whilst he was still stirring his s and c. :rolleyes:

There are plenty of plumbers who make life difficult for those who have to repair one of their installations at a later date. Had to change a siphon on a close coupled wc few weeks ago. The fitter had used a whole tube of silicone to 'bond' the back of the cistern to the wall. Where did he think the wc was going to go - it was already bolted to the pan as well as being screwed to the wall. Bloody nightmare trying to get the thing off. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back