Toilet flush pipe connector leaks

DJM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The downstairs wc has a plastic low level cistern connected to the bowl by a flush pipe through an internal connector. when flushing the loo, the pipe seems to move and the connector regularly leaks.

Any suggestions on how to stop this leaking?

Sponsored Links
is it a connector that slots into the bowl and has 'fins' on the section that slides into the bowl? If so i put a bit of silicone on the exterior fin where it meets the bowl (if that makes sense?)

I hate the cheap flushcones. the nice rubber ones never leak if the jobs done right. So many Ive seen leaked cos the person didn't cut the pipe corectly and either have insufficient pipe in the cone/bowl or it goes in at an angle that levers the cone up or down making it leak. Often in those situations, they silicone it and it holds for a few weeks, months or whatever.

Sponsored Links
I dunno but I know what you mean. I ve seen so many basin wastes that were leaking cos the rubber washer had twisted out of position due to the muppet turning the outlet and not the screw in the plug hole.
Then they cake it in silicone but it never works :LOL:

cister is connected to the pan via
flush pipe like
http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/p-1768-wc-flush-pipe.asp
and internal connector like
http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/Product.asp?iProductID=1760
the pipe was there before we bought house, and teh connector was leaking so ibought anew one and fitted it. Seemed to work for a while, but now leaking again.
DOn't really want a silicon "bodge", but I understand why it has been suggested. I was hoping ther would be some other ideas.
The movement appears to be because the cistern is flexible plastic rather than the pipe being cut wrong. Haven't time or money to replace toilet at moment, so was looking for a reapir solution.

Any ideas?

Those finned, semi rigid nylon swines are awful. Replace the flush cone with a decent soft rubber one. Shouldn't cost more than acouple of quid.

the replacement I fitted is a soft rubber one and was better than the plastic, but still leaks. :(

IS it white soft rubber or black - seriously, the black ones are OK.
If it's black, tough, silicone it!

The pipe is going in straight and unstressed? Are you sure its not leaking from the cistern end and running down? Ive never had a single problem with either colour of soft rubber cone. Make sure the pipe is entering the pan and cistern at rightangles (squarely) and fully (bit of silicone grease helps the flushpipe go intothecone and into the pans inlet properly with no kinks or wrinkles in the rubber)

Cone is white, fitted correctly with no kinks. Pipe enters straight. Leak is definitely from the cone and from the joint between cone and pan. When the wc is flushed the pressure of the water seems to move pipe and cone slightly out of the pan which is I suspect the problem. In fact if the flush is pumped then the pipe can almost come out. It just seems a poor fit.

you need to eliminate the movement in the pipe. Without seeing it I can't tell you exactly how but maybe clip the pipe to a wood block screwed to wall behindthe pipe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back