Toilet leaking at bolt area, which gasket kit please ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
105_0324.JPG

Hi there, when we flush the toilet a small amount of water is dripping from the left bolt, i understand i need to replace with a tank to bowl gasket kit ? but not sure which i need as the ones ive been looking at dont seem to look like this one with the plastic bit above the wing nut, any ideas please ? Many thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Presumably you can't just nip the wing nut up a bit. If not:
1. Use Screwfix item 517JM. Doesn't matter that it has a rubber washer rather than plastic.
2. Also replace the "doughnut" washer which fits between the cistern where the flush valve is and the bowl.
3. Be prepared to hacksaw the old wing nuts off, they look well and truly rusted on.
4. You will need to:
4.1 Turn the water off to the cistern inlet valve.
4.2 Flush the WC and sponge any remaining water out of the cistern.
4.3 If you are changing the doughnut washer you will need to undo any screws / cut through any silicone securing the cistern to the wall.
4.4 Remove the existing cistern securing bolts. Be careful you don't damage the cistern!
4.5 Remove the cistern from the bowl and clean base of cistern and top of bowl.
4.6 Replace the doughnut washer.
4.7 Replace the cistern securing bolts. If using the Screwfix ones, the conical rubber washers go inside the cistern, with the narrow end pointing down. Tighten the bolts a bit at a time, evenly, so they don't pull the cistern out of level.
4.8. Turn the water back on and make sure nothing is leaking.
4.9 Re-fasten / re silicone the cistern to the wall.

Sponsored Links
when we flush the toilet a small amount of water is dripping from the left bolt
I don't think that has anything to do with cistern fixing bolts. If it was and it uses through the cistern bolts then it would leak anytime the cistern had water in it. If it's leaking only when the toilet flushes then it's probably the cistern to pan doughnut that needs replaced. You will need to take the cistern off to see what type of fixing and doughnut seal it uses to know the correct type to get as there are 2 different types

The through the cistern type bolts with a separate doughnut as above or the captive nut plate type like below with its own doughnut

1706738964698.png

The fun will certainly be to see if those nuts move or if they'll need cut off. I never pi$$ about and get in there with an angle grinder :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back