toilet leaking between cistern and toilet pan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we have just moved into our home a few months ago and I find the bathroom floor is wet. Checking this out I can see a leak when the toilet is flushed, under the cistern someone has connected a P trap and this goes into the toilet pan. It has silicone around it and the leak is coming from that area, can you advise is this a normal set up and is it just the case clean off the old silicone and replace with new of can i get the correct part from somewhere and lastly what is it called.

We will eventually replace the lot but only when we have the money.
( not for a while I think )

Thanks

Cliff

Sponsored Links
Pan connectors, fitted correctly, require no sealant.

Picture, please, if possible.

Edit: Having re-read your post, are you saying the P trap is on the flush pipe, between cistern and pan?

Definitely picture time. We all like a laugh!

I am no plumber but seeing that I thought it was wrong. Will post picture tonight.

Sponsored Links
That's not a P trap, it's a bottle trap, and that botch needs bottling and preserving for posterity!
ROFL.gif
ROFL.gif

Some cowboy has used a back-to-wall pan and a low-level cistern to botch a close-coupled suite.

Also, the pan conn looks like a straight and it should be a 14/104 degree.

Holy Crapper , Thomas :eek: It might just be a close coupled that should have an outside placcy device to connect cistern to pan - I`ve seen them but can`t remember who made it :oops: The placcy bit was missing and someone bodged the trap in :LOL: .. Google bog in a box - you`ll find them for no more than £ a ton ;) maybe less from a large DIY shed

..might just be a close coupled that should have an outside placcy device to connect cistern to pan - I`ve seen them but can`t remember who made it ...
Two of the loos at my parents are like this, there where/are shanks toilets although they are 20yo now.

Daniel

Thanks for all the Pee taking chaps I think I will slap a lot of silicone on it until we can afford to replace with a new one. If I find anymore bodge jobs around the house I will let you know.

Cliff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back