Toilet problem out of control and spreading...please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all.

I have lived for 2yrs in a 4yr old new build flat.

As I am on my own I have used the mostly the ensuite toilet. About 6 months ago the toilet, that has a built in cistern, started to make reverberating noises on flushing and filling up. This built up until the noise stayed all the time!! The toilets are fed with plastic pipe off the mains.

I then had a leak in the bathroom from the cistern. This caused water damage that has recently been repaired. The cistern during this time was isolated and so the noise stopped. During the repairs I then used the 2nd bathroom.

The plumber ,who fixed the water damage, adjusted the float valve and changed the high pressure inlet fitting to a low pressure one. He also reduced the flow to the cistern on the isolation valve. This appeared to work initially, now the noise is back, worse it is now happening in the other toilet!!

Whats more I can also hear it throughout the block when other people flush there toilets!

Any solutions come to mind? Is it a common problem in new builds, mains fed cisterns etc.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help or advice.

All the best Si

Sponsored Links
Strange one,

I would turn down the stoptap a little and change the toilet float valve for a Torbeck one.

Experiment until you sort it! :D

Thank you for taking the time to reply Bahco. I will do as you say, a little bit of tinkering!

It is strange and listening last night (am obsessed!) I could hear it going on in the flat below me and somewhere else. I was thinking inferior fittings or installation on the newbuild.

Thanks again and keep not smoking!!

Cheers Si

Sponsored Links
ball valves often get noisier as they age. there is a good chance the builders "economised" on the quality of parts.

A Torbeck is amazingly quiet. If you get a brief buzzing noise from yours just as it closes, contect Opella and they will send you a modified part free (though by now shops should be selling the new one)

Work out if your water supply is high or low pressure, and fit the right restrictor (the valve is supplied with both options)

You will not need to turn down the service valve.

there is also a Fluidmaster valve which is very quiet, though I have not used them.

I am a householder, not a plumber.

Thanks JohnD.

These Torbecks seem to be the way forward. I am guessing that if the cistern is mains fed, which I believe it is, then it is at high pressure. Is that correct?!?

Cheers Si

I wonder why your plumber changed the inlet valve to a low pressure model?

Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back