Toilet seat hinges.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may seem a silly question but how do I stop the hinges on our toilet seat coming loose. I had to change it several months ago and try as I might I cannot stop the hinges loosening over time.
I’ve tried adding extra steel washers, extra plastic washers, split spring washers. I’ve used grommets to fill the gap caused by the holes in the pan being much larger than the threaded rod.
Nothing seems to work longer than a few weeks.
I’d really appreciate any tips that you professionals might have.
Thank you. :D

Sponsored Links
I find rubber tap-washers on the bolt/rod part, so they press against the porcelain, with a steel washer then the nut (so metal is not in direct contact with the porcelain) seems to work.

As only rubber is in contact with the porcelain, it does not crack even when you do up the nut pretty tightly. The rubber also grips which prevents it sliding. The steel washer spreads the load from the nut and prevents it biting into the rubber.

The nut and screw or rod are probably M8 (might be M6) and I use stainless ones.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back