Toilet - what water???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any help appreciated.

Just a quick one. Can I use the water from the hot water tank to supply the cistern on the toilet or does it have to be mains fed?

:cool:

Sponsored Links
You mean use water from the cold water storage cistern which feeds the hot water cylinder? Yes, it doesn't have to be mains fed.

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong connecting to the mains if you have a combi system or unvented hot water.

denso13 said:
Nothing wrong connecting to the mains if you have a combi system or unvented hot water.

Where the water comes for the toilet is not dependant on your heating system.
It might be dependant if you have no storage facility.

Correct, what I meant was, with those systems there is no requirement for storage water therefore wc cistern is mains fed.

Ive noticed some modern toilets fill up in seconds, -would these need mains pressure to fill so fast?

For low pressure use, you may have to modify the ball valve. Some of the modern valves don't come with a low pressure option - you may to have get a different optional washer or something to achieve a reasonable flow.

sm1thson said:
Ive noticed some modern toilets fill up in seconds, -would these need mains pressure to fill so fast?
....yes, and it`s all a lot better than the old L.P. ballvalves .......so 19th. Century ;)

I notice that modern toilets fill in minutes\hours not seconds :confused:

..but i'm a 4 year old 'newbie' (4 years plumbing that is ;) ).

bster said:
I notice that modern toilets fill in minutes\hours not seconds
on my parents toilet i counted 7 secs (if you press the button for having done a number 1, its a bit longer for a number 2)

ptarling said:
Any help appreciated.

Just a quick one. Can I use the water from the hot water tank to supply the cistern on the toilet or does it have to be mains fed?

:cool:

If you are going to use tank fed water then you will need to use the Low Pressure jet provided with the ballvalve. Torbeck valves and the like dont work well and are not designed for tank fed water.
Theres no rule saying it has to be fed from the rising main however this is invariably the best option.

bster said:
I notice that modern toilets fill in minutes\hours not seconds :confused:

..but i'm a 4 year old 'newbie' (4 years plumbing that is ;) ).
you`ve not experienced the joys of the Croydon ballvalve then........or the local bylaw appertaining to a seaside town known for it`s aged populace :eek: .....whereby a wc had to have a break tank to supply it with l.p water :rolleyes: ....pulled a few out B4 now....even Thos. Crapper would`ve been amazed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back