too close for comfort

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
last night, I went out for a meal with girlfriends and for the first time in years caught a bus.
Long story but had to get lift to the nearest bus stop and lift back from bus stop at 11.
so, on way home I was the only person on the bus and last minute this man gets on too.

empty double decker bus and he comes and sits right behind me.

well, Im just wondering what (generalisation I know) you guys would do?
would you have gone and sat in an otherwise empty bus, right behind a lone female?

He didnt speak but I could see him in corner of my eye, leaning on the back of my seat looking at me.

Hey, if he had cracked a joke, said hello, or something to appear less scary, maybe it would have been ok.
But no, he just watches, no smile, just .. looking.

I think its okay because there is a driver on the bus so Im safe.
Then I get off at my stop which is isnt in a town.

He gets off too. its like a horror story and I feel scared.
No signal on mobile.. where the hell is my lift home?
He stands there and flicks his lighter over over over.
I cant see him properly but I can see the little flame.

I can smell him and I hear him breath, jesus I dont know how because my heart is going like a steam train.
My hands are sweating and I think Im going to be sick.

Why does he not go I wonder and why does he stand so close?

I try to appear confident... difficult when it is black dark and no houses for at least a mile.
I feel mad with myself for going on the bl oody bus in the first place.
(but I live in a safe area)
Bloo dy hell, this is why I didnt take the train, thought it safer on the bus.
My lift arrives and Im shaking as I open the door, this man turns to me and laughs hysterically as I climb into the car.

I tell hub today(he was working so couldnt collect me and hadn realised arrangements)and kids at mams.

Hub mad that I go on the bus. He says that last year a woman was followed on the bus near to us and raped and left for dead. :eek:

hubby says that if he is walking behind a lone woman he crosses over away from her and doesnt stand close to try to reduce her fears.

Ok.. so Im still here to tell the tale but it was scary.

Incidently,(from enquiries made ) this guy got back on the next bus!

IM not doing late buses again.

Sponsored Links
Toff :eek:

glad it ended in a safe way, i was going to crack a joke until i read all the story, If you ever need to take the bus again sit down stairs near the driver, you should carry some pepper spray with you.

PS did the bus not have c,c,t on board, you should imform the bus company to check and let them know. ( thats if not done so already )

It doesn't sound like the actions of a sane man, I mean getting off the bus, standing there and when you get in the car laughting at you does it? Have you reported this to the police? He maybe has a reputation for this, the biggest worry is next time somebody else might not be so lucky.

Sponsored Links
no cctv and to be honest, I dont think what he did was illegal but it was truly scary.
I am a bit of a wimp and the first to admit it but this was not me being paranoid or a silly girl.

Pepper spray I think is illegal.
But I have been told to carry nail file , hairspray etc, that are genuine items that you can defend your self with.

Last night, my bag was big enough to hold my purse, fone and lippy.

This self defence stuff is all well and good but hey... middle of now where, no help about and my lift only about two mins late and I dont mind admitting, I was scared.

I think that if he had meant to do something sinister he would have done so within the couple of mins... but I got a shock.
We should be able to do what we like and go where we like but I wont be doing it again.

Im a little bit disappointed at hubs attitude of it being my fault for going on the bus!

no, because I thought what do I say?
well, I got on the bus and so did the man.
I got off the bus and so did the man.

They bound to ask what did he say?

embarrassed I would have to say the truth which is nothing.

If they said did he touch me...He didnt touch me either.

He didnt threaten me either...

It just... it wasnt right.

We have spoken with the buses and he did get back on.
Anyway... thank you for not saying serves you right.

Toffee .....

I am so glad ... relived you are ok ..... huh..huh

as markie says get this dickhead caught as he is leading up to it....,
the rapes ......an murders !! classic signs ... MLBC(sorry forget her nic ) she will tell you , btw where is she ?? :(

go forward he has tasted fear ,smelt it on you an ...... he will get bolder ...next time , maybe a boob grope , .........then a finger ...til rape ..

shameful ....DONT LET THIS HAPPEN, go police station bus tapes are kept 24 h cycles

dont be bothered he saw you, he is a sad pathetic shallow evil creature ,once charged he will be remanded then he will now know an taste REAL Fear ..lol :)

toffee
report it please to police .. if 1 reports on him ,its 1 report an he is on police computer as a nutcase /weirdo

do it for every other women who may be raped/ murdered ...

he may have had this strange thing for awhile an women gone home ...

they all never said out til watching CRIMEWATCH , as countless women been butchered ... THEN they go forward .....:(
I trust you Toffee as your a STAR ...!!!:) :)

Still reckon its worth a word with the police, do you have a local bobby you can have a quiet chat with? I mean his actions obviously caused you some distress, going around frightening lone women like that. There might be something they can do, you just don't know unless you try.

toffee said:
Pepper spray I think is illegal.
Yeah it's frowned upon. But if I were you i'd worry about the repocusions after the fact. My parents were attacked in their shop (quite badly as it happens) and so I got them some pepper spray from the usa. It came through customs described as sample salt n' pepper shakers. :LOL:
Anyway, got some for the wife too.
When push comes to shove, you need to look after yourself firstly and worry about the rapist secondary. :eek:
Stay safe.

I agree with gcol b*****s with the law when your safety/life is at stake, im sure the law would be on your side if anything ever happened ( touch wood ). better safe than sorry as they say.

yes, I will report it.
It wasnt right....
It isnt normal behaviour and even if he didnt have any bad intentions, I dont believe that he didnt know that he was scaring the whatever out of me, saddo.

im supprised at your husbands reaction too, i think id be getting on the same bus every night to see if i could find him!

deffo report it

pepper spray is always good

I agree with the others, let the police know, you could possibly prevent harm to someone further down the line.

I think that it was more he was angry at what potentially could have happened. The event was done and so he was frustrated.
His reaction was to blame me for allowing myself to be in a vulnerable position.
I think he was also shocked... this is a safe place to live.
temporary communication breakdown I guess.

Sponsored Links
Back