Too hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a customer whose hot water is too hot. He has a 15 yr old Copperform indirect foam insulated grade III copper cylinder.

Cylinder stat can be set at 50 deg, but it's still steaming. At around 70-75 degs.

We've done all the normal things like checking the 3 port valve, changing the cyl stat. But it was still getting too hot.

So out of desparation I moved the stat halfway up the cylinder - no change.

Finally, I checked the temperature up against the bare copper surface in the cylinder stat aperture - lukewarm. Same story for the old cylinder stat aperture. But when you draw water off, and there is plenty of it, it is around 75 deg C.

The only conclusion I can make is that there is a great deal of scale on the inside faces of the cylinder preventing heat transfer to the shell. Normally I'd expect this to be in the bottom and on the primary coil, rather than the circumference.

Any ideas, I haven't seen this before?

Sponsored Links
simond said:
The only conclusion I can make is that there is a great deal of scale on the inside faces of the cylinder preventing heat transfer to the shell. Normally I'd expect this to be in the bottom and on the primary coil, rather than the circumference.

Any ideas, I haven't seen this before?

I concur Simon, but have you proved the stat to be working :?:

Only thing i can think of is if there have been any alterations to the sytem for it to still circulate even if the 3 port is closed to hot water?

When you say you've checked the 3 port, have you made sure it fully closes 100%, it could appear to be closed, but still creaps round?

Chers, Sam

Sponsored Links
off on a tangent a bit, but have you checked that immersion has not been left on? I know this is a basic question and no insult intended ;)

They are both fair and sensible suggestions, but it is the poor heat transfer through the wall of the cylinder which is the problem.

I checked the immersion (even though the spur was off) and it was dead....

I haven't seen a cyl before with such poor thermal conduction through the side wall. With the water coming out steaming I could easily touch the exposed area of the side wall with no discomfort whatsoever.

It may be a bit of a long shot but I have never encountered any serious scale on the walls so I dont see that as being likely!

Have you tried turning the boiler off and see if the water is still getting hot ???

I am suspecting an electrical fault!

Tony

Me too, Tony, I've never seen scale on the cylinder walls either.

But I multimetered the immersion and that is definately off.

As I say, normally it would be painful holding one's hand against the copper in the cyl stat pocket, this one's lukewarm.

But the water coming out is bl**dy hot!

If your feeling very brave Simon you could risk rattling the sidewall with the radhammer/vibraclean - it might just work or rupture the cylinder :eek:

can you remove the immersion and visually check with a torch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back