Top Tiled surface of balcony ~ 1.5" below DPC. Proble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been doing some remeidal work on the balcony attached to my ground floor flat. Now that I look at it closer, I see that the previous owners raised the slab level by ~ 2" and then tiled it, leaving the top surface ~ 1.5" below the DPC. Considerable less than the recommended 150mm (~ 6"). The balcony is covered at 2m by the balcony of the flat upstairs and has ~ 1m of boarding for privacy, so is exposed but has some protection.

To cap it off, the previous owners managed to raise the edges of the tiled slab, meaning that any water that gets onto the balcony pools against the wall.

I am trying to determine the next course of action, given that I was thinking of putting in decking at a later date to match the internal floor height.

1) Do I need to lower the height of the slab or can I just level the slab with a slight angle for drainiage ?
2) Can I cut out a gulley in the slab next to wall for drainage ?

Are there any other options / things I need to consider ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back