Top tip if your home is damaged by water or other accident

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Thanks to this forum I managed to identify how badly damaged my kitchen was from my washing machine leaking. I was fairly convinced that I could fix it myself and was all set to go when my work colleague suggested that I might be covered by my insurance. I doubted it because the damage had been happening over a period of 2 years and I'd only just noticed it and I’d also taken my leaking (and rusty, I discovered) appliances to the dump.

However, I discovered I was covered under “escape of water”, but the excess was going to be £350. Ouch. But here’s the top tip: They sent around an assessor free of charge who gave me an estimate and told me it wasn’t worth me claiming. The reason this is a top tip is that he didn’t flag up any unexpected damage which I would have missed. If he had spotted something bad then I would have not fixed the problem at all and things could have got a lot worse. It was like getting a professional in without the cost or feeling obliged to let them to do the work.

If anyone else is in this situation it might be worth calling the insurance people even if you don’t think you’ll be claiming (this is partly what you’re paying for in the first place). BUT make SURE they aren’t going to charge for the assessor first.

I hope this helps someone out.

Sponsored Links
And next year your insurance goes up.

Nothing is free in life.

Andy

Most certainly if you claim. But getting an assessor in is free and won't effect your premium if you don't claim (which you're not obliged to do).

NB - Freecycle is free and environmentally friendly. Some things in life are free, you've just got to look closely. :)

I work for a major insurance company, even if the policy holder phones up the insurance company and asks for advice - it goes against them and it will be noted onto the system and the policy is raised next year.

Andy

Sponsored Links
I work for a major insurance company, even if the policy holder phones up the insurance company and asks for advice - it goes against them and it will be noted onto the system and the policy is raised next year.

Andy

Hi Andy,
I didn't know that, and you're much more qualified than I. Sometimes good advice is actually bad advice. :oops:
I'll wait until you've seen this and then take down the post. I don't want to lead anyone astray.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back