Total noob advice on lead flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, probably been asked before, but please entertain me.

12.5° pitched roof, with redland tiles, needs lead flashing.
I've chased out ther mortar 2 bricks up from roof joint.
I've been told i need code 4 lead and probably at about 250mm width (150mm from chase-in down to tiles, then another 100m over the tiles) Is this correct?
Also, what tools do i need?
Do i need to stick/secure/heat the lead up in any way for it to be more maleable?
Can i use roofing/guttering sealant to secure the hook-in in the chased in bit?
There seem to be a few different ways to flash the lead, which one would suit me best?

As you can see i'm kinda clueless with this part of the project. I've had advice from my builder, but its always good to get more...

Many thanks for any adivce offered.

Sponsored Links
300mm code 4 lead cut into 1.5m strips.
cut a raggle into your roughcast 100mm up from your finished roof level.
use a straight edge to get your line as straight as possible.
lay a strip of the cut lead on a batten and project over the edge about 40mm then dress this over with a bit of wood.
then insert the dressed lead into the raggle and dress down over r/cast then down slope of roof.
you will have to fix lead into raggle using thumb bats.....easiest way would be to cut strips of lead about 2" wide then roll them up and flatten one end with your hammer then insert into raggle and hit it home with a chisel.
this fixes lead into place.
continue this process with each strip of lead overlapping the joint 100mm 125mm........you would then fill the raggle with lead sealant to complete.

this is a reply to a post a couple of days ago ita all the same principle.

cut a raggle into your roughcast

That needs sigging big time! :LOL:

Thanks for the advice. Does the lead., once hammered to the contours of the tiles, just sit there? Or do i seal it at the bottom somehow.

What tool do i use? A normal hammer or a rubber mallet type thing?

cut a raggle into your roughcast

That needs sigging big time! :LOL:

Thanks for the advice. Does the lead., once hammered to the contours of the tiles, just sit there? Or do i seal it at the bottom somehow.

What tool do i use? A normal hammer or a rubber mallet type thing?

wots sigging :confused: .

yes the lead just sits in the contours of the tiles you dont need sealant!
a rubber mallet or wump of wood does the job just fine.
dont touch the lead with a normal hammer :eek: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Hi. The lap down the roof for flashing should be 75 mm measured vertically, to prevent capillary attraction. EG. 45 degrees lap can be as little as 106 mm
22.5 degrees 212 mm as you will see the flatter the pitch the bigger the lap. Good Luck

i dont!........i copied and pasted from the same question that was posted yesterday :)

i wrote that at the bottom of da post.

Lol, the reason is said it should be sigged is:
1. cos it sounded rude.
2. It made absolutely no sense whatsoever to me......until i re-read it a few times.
However, i'm still unsure as to what roughcast is.
Please switch the light on for me... :)

edit: roughcast = pebbel dash kind of effect?

Will do thanks! :)
Although i like the "lobbing stones at wet render" explanation, that make sense now. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back