Total noob advice on lead flashing

Dont worry about the lead
There is not a redland tile that can be laid at 12.5 degrees!

Sponsored Links
Dont worry about the lead
There is not a redland tile that can be laid at 12.5 degrees!

Would you like a cuppa tea to wash down those words you're about to eat matey? :p

I have Redland tiles at 12.5° on my pitched roof. I took the remaining 72 back to the shop on saturday and got credit against buying the lead.

They are definitely Redland tiles.

I stand corrected
12.5 Redland Regent Smooth, news to me though they never used to go this low

Regent, thats the ones, i was trying to think of the other name beginning with 'R' when i posted it this morning. :confused:

It was thoroughly researched at the time as to what tiles we could use for such a low pitch.

Sponsored Links
ok, update, i've done the leading across the back where the top of the pitch meets the house. My god it was hard work, hammering the lead into the profile of the tiles was a right bi-atch to do....for a novice of course!

My problem now is the downward fall. If you take a birds eye view of the house, the new roof isn't right angled. The pitch coming down cuts in, lets say at about 60° instead of 90°.
The gable end has been built up over the tiles by 2 courses and will be finished off with coping stones (plans were done that way, i dunno why?)
So, how do i lead over that, considering:
a) the tiles have been cut at angles to butt up to the gable end
b) if i bash the lead it could easily break the tiles
c) there is quite a drop in the sense of profiling the lead over each tile below it.

I will take some pics later in the hope that you guys can help me further as its the last thing i need to do to watertight the roof......and i've already plasterboarded the ceiling.... :eek:

View media item 9792
Hopefully someone in the know can see what my problem is here (enlarge pic to get a better idea).

Having looked at neighborouing houses, although they don't have angled tile cuts like mine, what they tend to have is the tiles stopping short of the wall and the lead forming a kind of gulley (valley?) for the last couple of inches. But this wouldn't stop water goiing under the leading if it wasn't still profiled to the tiles.....thus back to my problem of doing such a thing.

Would really appreciate some advice here.

kjacko, from the pic it looks as though you have lapped the lead the wrong way! did you start from the top?.
correct me if i'm wrong.
the lead in this case would be better under the tiles. a concealed gutter.

Hi alastair (my personal DIY adviser, lol).
I assume you'd start from the bottom so that you could overlap the one above it?
Still not sure how i'd do it even with putting the leading UNDER the tiles.
It would have to then profile over the battens?

ok, just spoken to my builder friend. He suggested 'soakers'? He tried to explain it to me, but i can tell he was in the middle of something, so couldn't really take time to question him.
Can someone enlighten me please?

Hi. Soakers wont help. Forming a secret gutter may help but with such a flat pitch its a gamble. Or cut off parapet wall with disc cutter and form a verge, by extending tiles over wall line, you will need to run gutter on gable end, not the perfect solution. But i ain't a perfect world. Good luck

ask your builder how to install the leadwork under the tiles! if he is unable to advise you let us know.
the way the apron is configured at the moment will allow the water to pass under it because of the angle of the roof.
from the pic it looks as though the lead is lapped the wrong way (maybe wrong).

Alastair, after finishing the back/top wall that adjoins the house, i just started to do the angled wall in the same way, thats when i realised i had problems, so that length of leading is just sitting there waiting to be put right really.
Builder doesn't seem to sure. He said to use 'soakers' so i said i'd ask on the forum. Think it may be slightly out of his comfort zone tbh, so still begging for your help, lol.

ok kjacko, i can explain to you how to install the lead channel!
but first you will need to let me know the roof configuration, ie trusses felt,
trusses plywood felt?

oo eck! :confused:

Trusses (joists?) 600mm apart
felt on top, battons on top of that, then tiles.
Lol, that any good

Tiles at the raised gable end have been cut to shape, so are butting up to wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back