Track Lighting advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I want to install some track lighting in my kitchen. Nothing fancy, just some standard tracks with a few of led lights.

Can you please recommend a brand I can go for, something decent and not too expensive. I would like to buy the Tracks, junction boxes and lights of one brand so there would not be any compatibility issues.

I saw Sylvania on Screfix, but it is a bit overpriced and a bit confusing as they do not use junction boxes?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Also the Screwfix/Sylvania range seem not to have an LED option!

Check out this range
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...and_Spots_Index/Track_Lighting_LED/index.html

I don't understand your reference to junction boxes. What is the problem?

Hi and thanks for your response.
Americans call the power supply unit to the track a "Junction Box" i believe here a Junction Box has a different meaning.

I mean the unit that connects the supply cables and the track

Sponsored Links

Can you help me please to identify what wil be needed from this page?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In..._and_Spots_Index/KB_Lighting_Track/index.html

If I order the follwing:

KB TRK2MW Mains Lighting Track - White - 2Mtr - x 2
KB TRKSP2W 50w GU10 Track Spotlight Cylinder - White - x 4

- How do I connect the tracks to the mains cables?
- Do tracks come with the power supply box?
- If yes, is it at the end of the track?
- Is there any way to connect the mains in the middle of the track?

I need something like this (see picture)

Thanks in advance!

Is this going on an existing lighting circuit, how is it wired? Is it loop in at the light location?

DO NOT assume that the light connections for the track will be at the middle. They are very often at the end. Be warned!!

Is this going on an existing lighting circuit, how is it wired? Is it loop in at the light location?

DO NOT assume that the light connections for the track will be at the middle. They are very often at the end. Be warned!!

Hi,

Thanks for the response

It is going onto existing wiring, each box turns on separately from a two gang light switch.

Do the tracks come with some sort of supply connection? I was under impression that a separate box needs to be purchased, something like "floating track power supply box"?

When the track is 12 volt then you would have a seperate transformer box, generally clipped to one end, or along the track or there are ones you locate closeby with a wire to a plug in connecter at the end of the track.

with a mains track the power just connects direct to a plug in connecter at the end of the track, usually called a LIVE END connecter.

Dut to this connecters size, you sometimes link a cable from this to a ceiling rose or a junction box, especially if theres more than one cable at source.

Sometimes you can, depending on manufacturer get a live end that can plug in aywhere along the track, but can sometimes look unsitely due to the cable entry

When the track is 12 volt then you would have a seperate transformer box, generally clipped to one end, or along the track or there are ones you locate closeby with a wire to a plug in connecter at the end of the track.

with a mains track the power just connects direct to a plug in connecter at the end of the track, usually called a LIVE END connecter.

Dut to this connecters size you sometimes link a cable from this to a ceiling rose or a junction box, especially if theres more than one cable at source.

Sometimes you can, depending on manufacturer get a live end that can plug in aywhere along the track, but can sometimes look unsitely due to the cable entry

Thanks for your answer

http://www.illuma.co.uk/shopc/track-systems/3.htm

Sell budget systems and will show whats available.
they are a budget brand thats readily available

Thanks!

Sorry, one more question. What is the difference between 1 circuit and 3 circuit tracks?

http://www.illuma.co.uk/shopc/track-systems/3.htm

Sell budget systems and will show whats available.
they are a budget brand thats readily available

Thanks!

Sorry, one more question. What is the difference between 1 circuit and 3 circuit tracks?

Oh, I think i know what it is, it is 3 circuits in one track turned on and of separately.

1 track is all lights on or off

3 track if wired right can have 3 switches controlling whatever ones you set to ie, T1 T2 or T3

for 2 switches you could use the 3 track, but the profile of the track is larger
or use two independant 1 track

Centre feeds usually only fit the 1 track version, though i may be wrong.

And 12 volt tracks are nearly always single track due to there smaller profile

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back