Tracking copper pipes into wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Can anyone tell me if it is ok to make a track in my plaster to install copper pipes for a towel radiator above the bath. The plaster is plenty deep enough for 15mm pipe.

Will I have to coat the pipe in anything? Can I just plaster over it again or will the pipe heating up and cooling down crack the plaster?

Help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Various options:

1. Channel out wall, spray expanding foam, place in pipes and spray more foam, leave slightly low and replaster

2. Cannel out deep enough for trunking and plaster over

3. Channel out and insert pipes covered with foam pipe lagging, replaster.

Used 1,3 before with no problems.

Copper pipework should be protected from contact with things like cement and plaster as some contain ingredients which canhave detrimental effects upon it.

When using foam, is it possible to reuse at a later stage if only a small amount has been dispensed. In the past I have used a can and it has solidified. Seems such a waste considering it is not exactly cheap to buy a can.

Any ideas welcome

Sponsored Links
invariably no, as it blocks itself up. you are supposed to be able to tip the can upside down and press to clear the nozzle, never worked for me. but then agin what is the cost of a can of foam compared to not seeing pipes on a wall

expanding foam can be cleaned with acetone before its cured.
any builders merchant that stocks gun grade foam will carry a stock of foam cleaner.
you just spray it on uncured foam and it dissolves.
its probably about £7/8 a can about 500ml.

aleks

You musnt bury any joints in the plaster or foam.

Cheers for the help.

What will I have to do with the joints then as I will need an elbow to bring the pipes out of the wall?

You can use a pipe bending spring (and your knee !!) to put a small double bend in the pipe and attach joint outside your wall

Thanks for the info.

I feel daft for not thinking of it myself! :oops:

why not sleve the pipes down to 10 or 8 mm before you sink in to the wall. That way you've pleanty of room for the skim etc and the chances of heat craks are minimised as the paster depth is greater and the pipe expansion less.

BTW I bought 12 cans of expandable foam (750ml) off ebay for £30. Dont pay store prices...!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back