Traditional boiler - switch between hot water only and heating and hot water?

Thanks for the reply, Ian. If you (or anyone else) had to guess, how would this method compare with just turning all the radiators off? Any advantages / disadvantages between the two?

Would be more beneficial to upgrade the controls to offer greater flexibility.

As to your question, it is more beneficial as it is as you are only turning 1 ancient valve as opposed to maybe 8 to 12 depending on the amount of radiators you have. The less valves that are touched, at that age, the less chances of a leak appearing.

I would consider a system drain, add in a 3 port valve, cyl stat and room stat and TRV's on the rads. Done in a day and you have a much more controllable system.

Jon

Sponsored Links
Agree that a control upgrade would be very beneficial, but with the age of your system I would go the whole Hog and have a new boiler and controls fitted, if you are happy for now with what you have just close the green valve and put up with the one rad heating up

Agree that a control upgrade would be very beneficial, but with the age of your system I would go the whole Hog and have a new boiler and controls fitted, if you are happy for now with what you have just close the green valve and put up with the one rad heating up

Thanks again Ian (and Aquaheat). I will consider an upgrade, but one very last question if you'd be kind enough... The one radiator heating up isn't a problem, but what would happen if I turned just that one radiator off? Or is that a bad idea?

Sponsored Links
No shouldnt cause you any problems, your HW might get very hot though so just be carefull that it is not a scald risk if you have young kids or elderly people in the house , turning your boiler thermostat down a bit should stop this

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back