TRAFFIC LIGHTS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise me on how to build or where to buy some toy traffic lights for my little boy who is driving me mad.

Obviously it will have to be battery operated for a 5 yr old to play with.
I will build if anyone has the know how.

Sponsored Links
Try the local council highways department they might have a few old sets in the skip.
I know the lamps in them are low voltage but the inside of the controllers are quite complicated.

Sponsored Links
Traffic light lamps are 12v 55w, each light has its own transformer just behind the reflector.
The controler is not in the lights. The other thing is the lights them selves are nearly 4 foot tall and almost a foot across.

Most councils do not fix lights, its farmed out to specilaist contractors.

how ever if you can find one, they are usulally more than happy to give you a broken set or two, so you make one good set from th broken ones. but you still need a controller.

Mind you, you could always make your own 12v version

Many years ago I came across a set of gas traffic lights. 1970's when I say them it seems they were useless. The idea was a set of electric solenoids would control the gas only two lamps at that time no amber. This would be a lot quieter than having a generator thumping away. But it seems the mantels kept breaking and setting the whole thing on fire.
They were all packed away in a lovely wooden box in the back of the council workshop in Ruthin.
At that time the electric ones had a motor driving a cam and a set of micro switches.
Then we went to vehicle sensed traffic lights with integrated circuit control even they had their faults in case cables got damaged and gave opposing greens they had a thyristor which would fire and lock the lights on all red fail safe.
The chip which controlled which light went to green sometimes failed which would also try to give opposing greens. Although you did not get opposing greens one light would go red, red/amber then off. The other would go red, red/amber then red/amber/green. So drivers both ends thought they had a green light.
Later they went to using a PIC to control them by this time I was no longer involved with them.
So if I wanted toy ones then I think it would be out with lego set and some micro switches?
Eric

This can probably be done with a few LEDs and an NE555N chip. I used to scare my sisters friends to pieces with my bomb circuits I built with my 555s :D.

its all verywell saying it can be done with this or that, he needs more info.

well...........................

Sorry but this is sad (but it kept me amused building them)

Just for the fun of it a few years ago i made

View media item 4927 Red

View media item 4928 Red and amber

View media item 4929 Green

View media item 4930 Amber

View media item 4927 Red

Yes they do change in sequnce all by them selves. via the counter below

View media item 4931
The counter just counts, ther relays swich the actual lights.

To stay within authenticity when it gets dark the lamps decrease brigtness too.

If anyone wants more info how i built them / what the parts are, please ask.

They only run the one set, you can not add another set and have them change independantly. (well actually i think with the addition of 2 more relays you could, but i dont need that)

Nice one Breezer.

I would like to build a set with three bulbs i.e red ,amber and green. Can you tell me how to do a simple version pls :?: :D

It is GCSE stuff, but you do need to have some knowledge of circuit diagrams and stuff to understand it.

What are your soldering skills like?

http://www.rapidonline.com/Educatio...w/70-4040?source=googleps&utm_source=googleps

That kit is just painting by numbers but you will need to be good at soldering.

I suppose the very simplist way of doing it is just to have some manual series of switches but that probably isn't what you want.

Bacho, mine do have just 3 lamps
Red, yellow and green

Here is inside

View media item 4933 any one know why this looks vaguly familiar?

View media item 4934 Here it is with the light fitting

View media item 4935 here is the lamp, they are 7 watt

View media item 4936 rd filter gel. yes its burnt, you have to bear in mind these lights must be 7 or 8 years old.

View media item 4937 red one working but hanging by its flex so you can see it.

any joy with the question? why do those in picture 1 (this post) look familiar?

The reason is they are short drainage pipes

The bottom half (length ways) is cut off to make them look like a traffic light cowl, the ridged part stops them falling through the hole in the mdf and they are glued in place.

The controls are in the shed.

if you look carefully, the lights joydivision link to and mine are made by the same people (vellerman) but mine are not intended to be traffic lights

so its who ever wants to make it's choice which kit they opt for, either will need adapting.(relays adding, which is very easy)

I would say the one i used is easiest, since its bigger and has less components (it does need assembly and soldering)

Please do bear in mind the lights are about 7 - 8 years old

belive it or not, but one of the old boys in my local pub, well his dad invented the first traffic light!

Not thats got much to do with this subject.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back