Tragic M5 RTA

When the oil runs done it will sort itself out.
There will be no food to haul about for starters so no need for lorries.
Then the populations will decline.
Until that day happens eat drink and be merry.

Sponsored Links
General Motors and Toyota separately announced in March-2008 they saw little future in hydrogen powered vehicles. That was just shortly after crude oil hit $100 a barrel.

Google wrote
Even if fuel cells became much cheaper, and the challenges of piping and storing hydrogen were solved, a fundamental problem with the so-called “hydrogen economy” would remain: its inherent inefficiency

General Motors and Toyota separately announced in March-2008 they saw little future in hydrogen powered vehicles. That was just shortly after crude oil hit $100 a barrel.

Google wrote
Even if fuel cells became much cheaper, and the challenges of piping and storing hydrogen were solved, a fundamental problem with the so-called “hydrogen economy” would remain: its inherent inefficiency

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
I'd rather fill up twice as often, that have to resort to Shank's Pony :D

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't have had any kids if I knew what I know now. I tell that to my daughter too - and she's not having any. Those of us in this forum have lived in a golden age that no generation before or after will ever enjoy - the oil age. When it's over - it's over for ever. Sadly, it is nearly over. :cry:

Do you think for one second that the oil giants of today will meekly shut up shop in a decade or twos time? I don't.
They'll be making multi-billion dollar profits while we're all filling up with hydrogen. The technology works (and is even used in California right now), it's just there's not enough of a drive for the infrastructure (yet). There will be, once petrol becomes rare / expensive enough.
You will be driving past hydrogen filling stations in 20yrs time, still run by Shell, BP et al - there won't be any petrol or diesel in 'em though (though they probably still will sell sarnies at exhorbitant prices, and give sunglasses away free with a tankful) :)

The problem with that is that the production of hydrogen uses more energy than it provides - just like a battery stores less energy than it takes to charge it. So you end up using more oil than you get hydrogen - so we may as well just burn oil. There is no answer to the current problem other than going back to the stone age.

I wouldn't have had any kids if I knew what I know now. I tell that to my daughter too - and she's not having any. Those of us in this forum have lived in a golden age that no generation before or after will ever enjoy - the oil age. When it's over - it's over for ever. Sadly, it is nearly over. :cry:

Do you think for one second that the oil giants of today will meekly shut up shop in a decade or twos time? I don't.
They'll be making multi-billion dollar profits while we're all filling up with hydrogen. The technology works (and is even used in California right now), it's just there's not enough of a drive for the infrastructure (yet). There will be, once petrol becomes rare / expensive enough.
You will be driving past hydrogen filling stations in 20yrs time, still run by Shell, BP et al - there won't be any petrol or diesel in 'em though (though they probably still will sell sarnies at exhorbitant prices, and give sunglasses away free with a tankful) :)

The problem with that is that the production of hydrogen uses more energy than it provides - just like a battery stores less energy than it takes to charge it. So you end up using more oil than you get hydrogen - so we may as well just burn oil. There is no answer to the current problem other than going back to the stone age.

miniature nuclear reactors?

Hydrogen is currently expensive to produce, especially if you rely on oil based generators to create the electricity to manufacture it. The only reason why one needs hydrogen is to create mobile vehicles - as such IMO electricity will be generated in other ways, with part of this being used for car fuel. In particular, thorium seems to have a degree of potential.

Nuclear? Tidal? Wind? Solar even? (if you wanted to, you could cover half of Africa with PVs!)
You could even burn the 400yrs' worth of coal under the UK if you like - I was talking about using a car after the oil was gone; not about what was efficient, or not.

miniature nuclear reactors?
With a couple of hundred tons of lead shielding to contain the radiation.

I can just see a 90 yr old Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear, test driving one of those. "Well folks, it's took me 3 days, but there ya go ,,,, positive proof that you can get up to 60mph in one of these.",,("Mind you it was slightly downhill." ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Oil will never be gone - just too expensive to be of any use to us. None of those things you list is efficient enough to save us from disaster - it's a forgone conclusion that we cannot survive. There will be no soft landing. It's already begun.

I've noticed a few people remarking on "jack knifed" artics, they do not jack knife under normal circumstances, this even includes heavy braking on compacted snow (believe me i've seen the Scania propaganda video) trucks have EPS which is far superior to ABS, to J/K (i think) they must have hit something, i personally have narrowly avoided driving over a slow moving car a few times now, can somebody please tell me why a vast majority of car drivers "rubber kneck" ie an accident on the other side of the motorway and the driver infront forgets about the the 44ton truck he/SHE has just overtaken and takes their foot off the gas or even brakes.

i prsonally have narrowly avoided driving over a slow moving car a few times now, can somebody please tell me why a vast majority of car drivers "rubber kneck" ie an accident on the other side of the motorway and the driver infront forgets about the the 44ton truck he/SHE has just overtaken and takes their foot off the gas or even brakes.
So you've never "rubber necked"? Also, given that approximately the last 8 out of 10 motorway accidents I've witnessed have involved Lorries and HGV's even though (I suspect) less than 10% of traffic is of that class, one has to question the competence of "professional" road users such as yourself :confused:

hgv's shouldn't be allowed to "clog up" lane 2.

And as for JJ's comment about lorries being limited to 55, so they can travel closer to one another... what nonsense.... !! The braking distance refers to the distance it takes you to react at a certain speed.... so if big John, in front of you stops all of a sudden...like hitting another stalled wagon... you're doomed !!!

Sponsored Links
Back