Trainee and my soldering is crap !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, time to ask the experts. Im a trainee plumber and whatever I try, my soldering seems to be crap. How do I know this ? - leaks !! and the joints just dont seem as clean as ones Ive seen. What am I doing wrong, or more importantly, how can I do it right ?

Is it the cleaning ?, too much flux, not enough flux etc etc

help................!!!

Sponsored Links
decent blowtorch,

make sure the joint is CLEAN!

Flux well

heat the fitting not the pipe

when the solder melts it should just get sucked in by capillary action.

I think your main problem is your pipe/fittings aren't clean. use that abrasive cloth to key the surface then clean it with a cloth to remove all the crud.

Well i am also a trainee and i have no problems with my soldering skills. Only advice i can give is this.

Once you have cleaned the copper dont overdue the fluxing, clean excess flux away with a rag. Make sure the copper is nice and warm, keep dabbing the solder to the joint to find this out. Once it does melt run the solder around the joint ( removing flame from pipe as you often find the flame is actually melting the solder rather than the heat from the pipe). Dont overdue the solder, once your confident you have a good seal use wire wool to clean the joint up ( remove the excess blobs of solder). Thats basically it my friend, fingers crossed no leaks from any of my soldering to date. Though compression joints i still have the occasional little dribble ;p.

End feed?
Common faults:
  • Not clean enough before you start
    Too much flux - thin and even is what you want
    Too hot. The flux burns before the solder arrives. Start with highest joint and work DOWN or the ones above will burn.
    Heat in the wrong place. If you only heat the fitting, you get a ring of solder round the end but not inside.

Use this Laco pot, with the brush in the lid. Saves time and fingers.
lacofluxpotcol.gif

Buy from eg BES.

Sponsored Links
Everflux is my preference.
Apply a minimal coating of flux to pipe-end and fitting (unless gas).
Clean the pipe end - use abrasive strips.
Use a fittings brush for the fittings.
Use a decent blowlamp - insuffficent heat can cook the flux before the pipe/fitting is hot enough.
Heat the fitting and pipe - play the torch around the joint.
Get a decent heat mat - it will also help throw the heat back on the joint in restricted areas.
Only apply the solder with the blowlamp away so you know the joint is hot enough.
Solder larger pipe diameters/higher joints first.
Allow to cool.
Whilst joint is still warm thoroughly clean with damp rag to remoce all traces of flux.

Thought they done away with the brush in lid pots!

Hope not, I wouldn't use anything else. I keep refilling them. Favourite has a heat-bent brush..

I'd disagree about doing the big pipes first - small ones are more likely to overheat while you're doing big ones.

Everflux is very effective, but no good for gas, and some pushfit fittings makers don't like it.

Many thanks for the feedback. I think I have been using too much flux - should I wipe the excess off after fitting the set but prior to soldering ??

I`ll practice a load more and put more time into the cleaning as well.

I`ll let you know how I get on

Many thanks again

yes m8 you should. The flux as a sort of channeler for the solder to adhere too, remove excess with a rag and then solder.

Best thing I did in college was to hacksaw open a load of 22mm endfeed joints. You can peel a coupler away with strong pliers once it's slit. You'll see which ones have solder all through, and where if you overheat it before getting the solder to it, it's all black and dry inside.

If you use too much flux it sits there boiling, holding the temperature down. You have your blowlamp blasting at it, so as soon as the flux has evaporated the temperature of the copper rockets and it oxidizes.

Do not apply flux inside the fitting, apart from pushing the flux inside the pipe when you assemble the joint it is un-neccessary.

And if you used jointing compound on the compression fittings they wouldn't leak either.

I use powerflow on all copper whether water or gas. Corgi used to say not to use it, but apparently the manufacturer cried foul. Now they say use it with care. I don't use in the fitting, regardless. Just make sure you wipe of the excess otherwise you get nice green pipes after a few days.

Is it just me who hates those little flux brushes?

Oh, and Mapp vs Propane. I did a job with Croydoncorgi and he let me borrow a bottle of propane. I was surprised that it wasn't actually that much different in heat output to Mapp which is what I buy. Probably the difference comes if theres a little water in a pipe and you need to give it a bit more ummph to flow.

I agree can't beat Everflux as a great pipecleaner but also clean any dirty pipe or fitting with wirewool or a good abrasive pad with a small kids artists bruss to apply the flux (can direct easier) Again get a good gas bottle, I like the self ignition hand held as very controllable & not fussing trying to find a lighter. Also make sure you take the time to wipe any surplus flux, afterall solder can't adhere to copper if there is no flux present. Then you should get a tidy joint but have a wet rag to hand & if your solder starts to run through overfluxing then simply use this to gently wipe any surplus solder. Guarantee your soldering will look great without any of the dreaded candles.
Also agree propane is best.
Good luck :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back