Trainee and my soldering is crap !!

Get yourself a little angled dentist mirror...They are handy for checking the blind side of joints once you have finished soldering to check that the solder has run around completely.

Sponsored Links
Whilst your playing with pipes and solder, apply it to the rear of the fitting.

1: You can see when it fills the joint your making.
2: Looks impressive as you see no solder on the pipework your looking at.

Decent flux will clean dirty pipes anyway. I never bother cleaning them. Waste of time IMO.

Doitall has a good vid on soldering.

Paul.

if he hasn't worked out how to solder joints in 2 years i suspect he's probably working in asda by now :LOL:

Ah! :LOL:

Hadn't noticed it was one of those long threads that gets ressurected!

Good tips though, and where else but a plumbing forum can you get the council of 10 - 15 experienced plumbers (on this thread) to learn from all at once.

Who is it that calls this site Diydoughnuts again? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Wire brush .french chalk.Smudge. Scraper. tallow . keep the moleskin moving . keep the lamp pumped up and moving the flame . Don`t let the tin drip out :eek: :LOL: :LOL:

Wire brush .french chalk.Smudge. Scraper. tallow . keep the moleskin moving . keep the lamp pumped up and moving the flame . Don`t let the tin drip out :eek: :LOL: :LOL:

Dont forget the Plumbers "Black",or are we not allowed to say that anymore?

thats smudge ;)

and the youngsters think copper takes a bit of practice
lol-045.gif

I must admit that everflux is the worst flux i've ever used :( burns your skin badly. I've been using Powerflux for years , i only put a smear inside the fitting the rest on the pipe. Dont like map gas its to hot. and i've been using my finger for years i got fed up with brushs ect.
Any plumber or gas installer who's not had a leak as never put anything in there pipes. (I HATE WATER) :LOL:

Right, time to ask the experts. Im a trainee plumber and whatever I try, my soldering seems to be crap. How do I know this ? - leaks !! and the joints just dont seem as clean as ones Ive seen. What am I doing wrong, or more importantly, how can I do it right ?

Is it the cleaning ?, too much flux, not enough flux etc etc

help................!!!
might take u a bit longer try tinning the pipe end an old fashioned way of making sure 2 surfaces are going to stick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back