Training and Qualifications

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've been a self employed sparkyfor a number of years now but I'd like to branch out and install domestic intruder alarms. Can anyone recommend a suitable training course, please? Also are there any formal qualifications that you must have to start up on your own i.e a regs' certificate etc?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I would suggest getting in contact with SSAIB or NACOSS,they would be able to put you right regarding legal requirements. Anyone can install an intrudeer alarm, it just becomes sticky once insurance companies get involved

Hi all

I've been a self employed sparkyfor a number of years now but I'd like to branch out and install domestic intruder alarms. Can anyone recommend a suitable training course, please?

Thanks in advance.

Why do you need a training course? Can't you follow a simple wiring diagram? It's a DIY job.

Hi all

I've been a self employed sparkyfor a number of years now but I'd like to branch out and install domestic intruder alarms. Can anyone recommend a suitable training course, please?

Thanks in advance.

Why do you need a training course? Can't you follow a simple wiring diagram? It's a DIY job.

Yes, but if the OP wants to offer installation as a "professional" service, then it would make sense for him to have the accreditation of SSAIB or NSI/NACOSS

Simply following a wiring diagram isn't everything when it comes to installing intruder alarms for a living. Meeting the standards on an installation should mean that a certificate can be issued if the installer is approved, which can have a knock-on effect on insurance,

Sponsored Links
Are ACT (Alarm Circuit Test) still going in St Helens?? when I was in the Industry ***Years Ago (any one remember Lander Alarms?) they used to run some very helpfull courses on installing and fault finding ;)

Hi all

Thanks in advance.

Yes, but if the OP wants to offer installation as a "professional" service, then it would make sense for him to have the accreditation of SSAIB or NSI/NACOSS

Simply following a wiring diagram isn't everything when it comes to installing intruder alarms for a living. Meeting the standards on an installation should mean that a certificate can be issued if the installer is approved, which can have a knock-on effect on insurance,

Have you looked into NACOSS accreditation? Apparently not if you think that's all you need.

(any one remember Lander Alarms?)
Oh yea, especially when a new manager arrived at our branch, 13, yes 13 engineers all of 10yrs standing or more all left voluntarily all because of the new know it all p***.

Just went to show how bad the management of the company was, hardly surprising they were taken over by Modern Alarms, from bad to not much better, and now MA taken over by ***, never met a happy customer of theirs.

Blimey Europlex did you work for the old Magnet Alarms branch at Cambridge as well??

I was so p****d off i became a Combustion Engineer instead :LOL:

As with most trades you have to be able to prove you are a competent person. I would check with the local college as there are Security courses available, we send our apprentices on these courses, min requirement is a NVQ2 however the likes of SSAIB would look for NVQ3 which is what our apprentices train to. Check with SSAIB for membership requirements. (a lot cheaper than NACOSS)

You need to be registered to be able to supply Certificates for insurance, it's no good installing an Alarm then a week later the place is burgled because guess what, insurance won't pay out and more than likely they'll come knocking on your door for answers!!!!!!!

You need to be registered to be able to supply Certificates for insurance, it's no good installing an Alarm then a week later the place is burgled because guess what, insurance won't pay out and more than likely they'll come knocking on your door for answers!!!!!!!

Complete twaddle.

The professional alarm installer must carry out a risk assessment and then decide what grade the system is to be installed to. So if you install an inadequate system and the customer suffers a break and there is a loss due to poorly designed system, then you will have some explaining to do both to the customer and possibly the insurance company. So not totally twaddle !

And that's why Alarm installers MUST have Public, & products Liabillity Insurance AND Efficacy (Failure to perform) Insurance

Beware Insurance co will come knocking if an installes system does not activate correctly due to equiment or design!! ;)

If you install an alarm system in your house and don't go looking for a discount from your insurer - then it has nothing to do with your insurer whatsoever. Whether you have a lion in the hall or a windchime on the door is completely up to you. Nothing to do with insurers. What I do with my house is my business. So I'm afraid it IS complete twaddle. Phone them and ask them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back