Transformer location query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garden has some 12V AC lighting powered by a 'plug top' type transformer plugged into a socket in a corner of the lounge, with the 12V cabling going out through a sealed hole in the wall.

Now, the transformer is labelled for interior use only, and the instructions which came with it also say that, as it gets warm when in use, it should be in a well-ventilated location. All fine at the moment, but...the transformer is rather bulky and, with it being used with a plug-through timer as well, takes up rather too much space and so I want to relocate it somewhere else.

So, maybe a silly question, but....would it be OK to put it in a suitably IP-rated weather-proof enclosure outside on the wall of the house, or is it definitely interior only?

Sponsored Links
I can't see any real problem having it in a waterproof enclosure outside.

They do very large enclosures, that you can fit a socket into as well, and the leads simply pass through a special sealed section between the enclosure base and the enclosure lid.

Be sure to mount the enclosure on the wall, and typically the leads need to pass through the bottom of the enclosure, to prevent moisture settling in the enclosure.

The larger enclosure, the more you can get inside in the future. I suppose a larger enclosure would give a bit more air round the transformer, for what it's worth.

I think they say interior use only to discourage people putting them outside in the rain, or in badly fitted enclosure that let the rain in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back