Transformer Rating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,
I am repairing an old electric fence unit and the transformer is nackerd. The Secondary coil still has continuity but the primary doesn't so I cant see its resistance. It works off 240V AC (on primary) and I am not sure what voltage or current the rest of the circuit uses.

There are numbers 145x5/8s on the bottom of the transformer. Does this mean anything? I am trying to find a replacement, but not sure which one to get. No other markings are visible.

Also out of interest what does it mean when a transformer is rated 6VA, 12VA etc.

Please help. Many Thanks
FLYING SPARKS :D

Sponsored Links
doubtfull if you will find a new transformer in your "diy shed/ electrical wholsaler for an electric fence, suggest new fence

flyingsparks said:
Also out of interest what does it mean when a transformer is rated 6VA, 12VA etc.
It means it is rated at, i.e. can safely deliver, 6VA, 12VA etc. Try to take more and the secondary voltage will reduce and/or the transformer will overheat, possibly dangerously....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back