Door Chime Transformer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 30 YO door bell who's transformer has gone kapput. It is rated as 5v and unfortunately they are not now available.
Will an 8v one do the trick or will the coil of the bell burn out?
Edit: The transformer does not indicate AC or DC. It is a Transform E3606

Sponsored Links
Some transformers have three terminals marked 0v 8v 12v

Instead of using the 0v and 8v terminals ( 8volts ) for the supply to the bell use the 8v and 12v terminals which will almost always provide a nominal 4 volts. Very rarely the arrangement is different and the voltage betwen 8v to 12v terminals is 20 volts.

Very rarely the arrangement is different and the voltage betwen 8v to 12v terminals is 20 volts.
In which case, hopefully, the terminals will be labelled 12 - 0 - 8.

Caveman - measure the output of your transformer before just connecting it up, but I find it hard to believe that nobody makes 5V transformers.

They might not be sold as bell transformers, but 5V is 5V.

Sponsored Links
I recall bell transformers from my youth (almost 50 years ago), input was 200-250V AC and output was just-off-centre-tapped to give 3, 5 or 8V AC. If your bell is DC *and draws less than 500mA* then a "wall-wart" with a USB output might suffice, as USB is 5V. If it is AC, then, of course a DC supply is unlikely to work! Is this a "ding-dong" bell or does it jangle like a fire alarm?

I recall bell transformers from my youth (almost 50 years ago),
a 30 YO door bell

If your bell is DC *and draws less than 500mA*
It might be universal. I used to have a bell which could either have batteries in the housing or be run off a transformer. Which was just a transformer, output 50Hz AC.

Caveman - why not try opening up the transformer case to see if there's anything in there except a transformer?

Open it carefully - you might find what's wrong, because if it is just a transformer there's not much to wear out or fail...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back