Transit bolts left in Bosch washing machine-now dead! Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I turned on the machine with 2 transit bolts still in place. The machine took in water but then stopped and lights went out. I removed bolts but the machine will not start again. Fuse is OK, so is electric socket. No lights showing on machine. Have I killed it for good?

Sponsored Links
possible, take the lid off see if you have pulled any wires off ,if not is it still under gtee call bosch dont tell them you left bolts in otherwise you will be charged for it .

I turned on the machine with 2 transit bolts still in place. The machine took in water but then stopped and lights went out. I removed bolts but the machine will not start again. Fuse is OK, so is electric socket. No lights showing on machine. Have I killed it for good?
Do you mean the plughead fuse or one within the machine?

Do you mean the plughead fuse or one within the machine?
I checked the plug fuse - is there another one?

Sponsored Links
no other fuse in the mc just the plug .

no other fuse in the mc just the plug .
There'll be another one somewhere, even if it's just a thermal fuse in the motor. Have a look for a resettable thermal fuse. It's almost inconceivable that there isn't some form of over-current device in the motor controller circuitry somewhere.

thermal fuse in the motor will stop motor will not make mc dead with no lights .thermal fuses are not resettable .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_cutoff no they are not.
I included a link which proves you to be completely wrong. The proof is in the pudding as they say, and there you see a company marketing resettable thermal fuses. Anyone who believes that everything stated on Wikipedia is correct probably believes in fairies too! :LOL:

Whether a resettable device can in fact be a 'fuse' perhaps comes down to semantics in the end, and you can argue all you like about that. The fact is you can buy these in the shops today, so they exist!

I have a Flymo hover-mower with a "resettable thermal fuse", and that's according to the manufacturers! :) Go and argue with them about it!

Having said all that of course, should a "non-resettable thermal fuse" have blown in the motor, it is unlikely to have switched everything off with it, so you may have to look deeper. The controller board is likely to be in the top of the machine, perhaps in a box. Fuses may be mounted on a circuit board or in an easy to access fuse-holder if you're lucky. The device has to be protected against an overloaded or overheated motor, so there must be an over-current/overheat device of some sort other than the plughead fuse, so it is likely to be repairable.

A thermal fuse is a cutoff which uses a one-time fusible link. Unlike the thermostat which automatically resets itself when the temperature drops, the thermal fuse is more like an electrical fuse: a single-use device that cannot be reset and must be replaced when it fails or is triggered. A thermal fuse is most useful when the overheating is a result of a rare occurrence, such as failure requiring repair (which would also replace the fuse) or replacement at the end of service life.

I REST MY CASE READ IT . CANNOT BE RESET i only being whitegoods for 20 years 10 at bosch 10 at hopoint,

A thermal fuse is a cutoff which uses a one-time fusible link. Unlike the thermostat which automatically resets itself when the temperature drops, the thermal fuse is more like an electrical fuse: a single-use device that cannot be reset and must be replaced when it fails or is triggered. A thermal fuse is most useful when the overheating is a result of a rare occurrence, such as failure requiring repair (which would also replace the fuse) or replacement at the end of service life.

I REST MY CASE READ IT . CANNOT BE RESET i only being whitegoods for 20 years 10 at bosch 10 at hopoint,
Yeah, I know what a non-resettable thermal fuse is too! :LOL:

Thank you so much for all your suggestions - they have been enlightening and entertaining. My husband took the top off the machine and pressed and wiggled everything he could find that looked moveable -hey presto - it works!! Thank you again. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back