Zanussi 1397

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one of these washing machines and it's just stopped draining, I cleaned the filter but still nothing. I can hear the pump run so suspect it's blocked. I found a video showing howto replace the door seal on one, but this involved stripping the machine from top to bottom. On this forum I also found someone who tilted the machine and managed to remove the pump/filter assembly that way so I'm wondering if I can find and refit the transit bolts (they were a bit bent last time they were used) will it harm the machine if I lay it on its side? Any advice on this?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sometimes the impeller breaks away from the pump motor shaft, in which case you would need a new pump. You need to remove the back half of the cabinet. For this you need a 8mm 1/4" drive socket, as the bottom side screws are recessed behind plastic plugs. The number you give is not a proper model number but if it's a Jetsystem there will be 2 pumps and you need to remove the one nearest to the front of the machine. The pump is clipped to the plastic base of the machine plus there might be one screw you need to undo. It can be pried up from the base using a large flat screwdriver then pulled out. You then unscrew the housing from the motor section for access to the impeller.

Thanks, yes the full model number is wjs1397w - I saw a post on here which suggested you could remove the pump from the underside if you tip it on the side so can avoid stripping the whole lot down.

Problem solved, just in case anyone with the same problemstumbles on this thread..

It was the drain pump impeller, I accessed it by unplugging everything, putting in the transit bolts (not sure if that's neccessary or not) and tilting the machine onto its side.

The pump is behind the filter access and is easily removed from underneath by taking out 3 screws plus the small electric cable and pulling.

I hooked it upto a flex with plug on and found it didn't spin, tapped it with an insulated screwdriver and is started up but failed when I cycled the power. I disconnected the power and tried to pull the impellor out, it wouldn't budge but when I tried the power again it had loosened up so works fine. Put it all back together, remembering to include the thin rubber seal around it and it works fine.

I guess it may pack up again but I know what to order now to fix. Don't forget to remove the transit bolts like I did when it's all done and dusted. I'm not 100% sure I put the pump back on the same orientation it came out from but it matches the splash shield around it and works ok :)

View media item 62135 View media item 62136 View media item 62134
Have to say that the machine looks at good as new on the inside and it's 12 years old!

Sponsored Links
Fair enough. When I was in the trade I always thought it looked a bit drastic to put a customers machine on its side and if you lean it the wrong way you can end up with water in the electronics.

Fair enough. When I was in the trade I always thought it looked a bit drastic to put a customers machine on its side and if you lean it the wrong way you can end up with water in the electronics.

Probably got lucky on that, most of the water had been drained out of the filter and also some soaked out of it but there was a small amount left when I tipped it but seems to have been no harm done, fingers crossed!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back