Tree Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a conifer in my recently purchased house's back garden - I causes shade to our lawn and i want to remove it. Its about 40ft tall. Do i need permission to do this? I presume no one will moan at me for removing a horrible leylandii will they?

thanks

Sponsored Links
As far as I'm aware it will be no problem. I'm looking at removing a horse chestnut which is a bit too big - I will replace it with something else. I'm going to have to phone the council to see if I can remove it. I'm fairly sure that when I was searching on the net though, conifers were OK to remove. What diameter is the trunk (at about 4 foot from the ground)?

diameter wise i guess about 50cm at that height - does that make a difference ??

thanks

When I've been looking to see whether the Horse chestnut in our garden is likely to have a TPO (Tree preservation order) on it, I seem to remember that the diameter of the trunk had a bearing of the likelihood. That said, I'll probably get a tree surgeon and most decent ones will know whether a preservation order is likely to be in place. I think TPOs are more likely for 'native' type deciduous trees.
There's a post about 20 posts down in this forum called 'Tree removal - council' and the consensus on there is that you can just chop conifers down.
Phone your local council for clarification.

Sponsored Links
not all of them are, some are protected dependent on variety, always check first!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back