Trench heating radiators in a Victorian terrace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm planning to buy a Victorian terrace and due to space I would like to install trench heating.
(some examples: http://www.heatfit.co.uk/, http://radiatorcentre.com/trench_heating_radiators2005.htm etc)

Has anyone seen those in a Victorian property; is there anything I should know about it, that makes it significantly different to traditional radiators?

I think they may need to be positioned only along big expanses of glass, so would be ok by patio doors, but not sure if the would work in the front room?

Also can they work as primary heat source?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I fitted them in an end terrace in Onslow gardens last year, South Kensington, we put 2 lengths in front of the huge patio doors to garden and 2 lengths on the other side of the room along the wall, as long as they are the correct way around this is ok, we did also fit a Rad in the room as designer messed up and we told them it needed a Rad, You need to think about things like ladys walking over them in high heals as the heal will go straight through the grill, the room was about 30ft by 20ft by 12ft high so a huge room, (6 bed 7 bath house, servants quarters, you get the picture)
they can be used as primary heat source as long as they are sized correctly,
don't have to be along window,
also they are major dust traps so need good regular cleaning,
also check joist sizes as you have to cut out huge amounts to fit them in,

Thank you very much, this is really useful.

Is there a way to fit some sort of netting below the grille to catch all the leaves and other stuff getting in?

They need regular cleaning!

They dont suit stiletto heal wearers!

They can only economically be fitted BETWEEN joists!

They need some depth below the floor surface.

They are an expensive option compared with traditional radiators!

Most of those I have seen fitted dont seem to give out enough heat although thats a problem due to the specifier.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Wow, that's some strong opinion :)
Of course they are more expensive, that's because they take up no space. I am quite unsure where I'd fit the radiator in this room when I put in patio doors, I'm afraid... any other suggestion?
I saw heating systems through skirting even (though they are thick and plastic, so will not work for me).

Maybe there's some better option?

Thats not an opinion, its my experience of seeing them.

I have not voiced an opinion yet, only pointed out some of their characteristics.

Much/most of the cost is in the installation. The supply cost would probably not be a lot more than alternative heat sources if the quantity sold was the same.

My opinion, since you mentioned it, is that they are unsuitable for stilletto heel wearers and anyone who gives parties as female party goers are often stilletto heel wearers! Dont you give parties? But if you invite me to one of your parties, I have to admit that I dont like borsch.

If your windows are wider than about 3m then they could be an option together with conventional rads. Otherwise I dont see any significant advantage to outweigh the disadvantages.

There are probably fan coil units which can discharge through small grills in the floor to avoid having a trench grill all across an opening window.

Tony Glazier

Thank you very much, this is really useful.

Is there a way to fit some sort of netting below the grille to catch all the leaves and other stuff getting in?

no not really, completely impractable i think, i'm afraid it will require regular cleaning, also i would say cleaning is no mean feet, each unit will require a Stat so some chasing in the walls will be needed and they need to be away from the heater so the heat from the heater doesn't rise straight to the stat, as Tony said fitting can be a huge cost if you're not doing it yourself, as long as they are sized correctly though they can be effective, getting the finshed level the same as the finished floor is also bloody awkward

have you checked out smiths fan heaters that can be fitted under the floor,or wall mounted units,myson also do a range

I fitted them in an end terrace in Onslow gardens last year, South Kensington, we put 2 lengths in front of the huge patio doors to garden and 2 lengths on the other side of the room along the wall, as long as they are the correct way around this is ok, we did also fit a Rad in the room as designer messed up and we told them it needed a Rad, You need to think about things like ladys walking over them in high heals as the heal will go straight through the grill, the room was about 30ft by 20ft by 12ft high so a huge room, (6 bed 7 bath house, servants quarters, you get the picture)
they can be used as primary heat source as long as they are sized correctly,
don't have to be along window,
also they are major dust traps so need good regular cleaning,
also check joist sizes as you have to cut out huge amounts to fit them in,

So you got that one :LOL:

I fitted some german made ones with a fan built in the company were super to deal with I emailed them the spec they emailed back prices (in euros) they would deal with plumb centre so got them on my account, the grills were s/steel flexible that could be rolled up for cleaning they also came with own room stat, big presigious barn conversion customer was highly delighted, I cant remember the name as it was a couple of yrs ago but if u are still genuinely interested i will try to look them up

I fitted some german made ones with a fan built in the company were super to deal with I emailed them the spec they emailed back prices (in euros) they would deal with plumb centre so got them on my account, the grills were s/steel flexible that could be rolled up for cleaning they also came with own room stat, big presigious barn conversion customer was highly delighted, I cant remember the name as it was a couple of yrs ago but if u are still genuinely interested i will try to look them up

Hi algas, yes please that would be fantastic.

Just out of interest what sort of costs are we talking about for installation?

Hi algas, yes please that would be fantastic.

Just out of interest what sort of costs are we talking about for installation?

for that kind of installation a site visit would be required to give any kind of install costs as there are so many variables

I am totally guessing but a guess is always better that having no idea!

Lets say based on a 5m width, the supply might be about £120 per m and the installation about £160 per m.

A lot depends on the floor construction!

The fanned units sound a much better solution as they will be cheaper to install and cheaper to buy! They also give a much faster heat up.

By the way, Happy Christmas Natienka!

Tony

I am totally guessing but a guess is always better that having no idea!

Lets say based on a 5m width, the supply might be about £120 per m and the installation about £160 per m.

A lot depends on the floor construction!

The fanned units sound a much better solution as they will be cheaper to install and cheaper to buy! They also give a much faster heat up.

By the way, Happy Christmas Natienka!

Tony

Couldn't agree less with Tony, having no idea before viewing is better than guessing without any idea which is what he is doing, a pro would view and price without charge not P*@s in the wind and hope to hit the mark, viewing needed to ascertain, is furniture to be moved ?, what flooring is down ?, are the trench heaters to be finished to floor level or vis versa ?, are they being connected to barrel or copper CH pipework ?, what is the parking situation ?, there are many ?'s need answering, however if Tony is happy to go with that price then book him now, me i'd rather view a job like this before pricing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back