Trianco Eurostar oil boiler problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have the above boiler which I have been servicing for the last 5 years.

Every 7 12 months or so it starts playing up, getting smoky and locking out. It gets a new nozzle and a Hoover, set up with a FGA, works well.

I serviced it 2 months ago and decided to try a different nozzle, its always had a Delavan .65 60w. This time, I tried a danfoss .60 80 eh, set it up, running 12.4 co2 as per manual and 55 co @ 110psi, thinking in hindsight the co was a little higher than usual but still acceptable.

Its been fine all this time but Now 2 months later it wasn't firing and smoking so I stripped it down today and it's totally sooted up..! Worse than I've ever seen it. So I've cleaned it up and got it working again, it's not great and the FGA results aren't great, as you would expect.

So what happened? I've got to order another nozzle but which one? Go back to the Delavan or get a danfoss .60 80 s? as per manual?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Getting the correct nozzle is fairly obvious, higher flow rates or spray pattern will knock everything out! Check the engineering plate to see what kw output your boiler is meant to be and get right nozzle.
Better to turn down the oil pressure and over air that get too high CO2 and sooting!

PS. don't forget to desoot all the baffles now they are black

On these, I'd check that the baffles aren't too restricting......even if it means a trim with an angle grinder.
John :)

Is it a conventional chimney? I've had problems with soot etc on non balanced flue systems. Regularly flue problems.

Sponsored Links
setting c0 above 12% was asking for trouble. If commissioning print off @ 12% then wind it back to 11.5 %.
Are you using a smoke pump ? first and last tool to use if any doubt a the pump never lies.
Also try a narrower nozzle 60' is less likely to give impingement even if less efficient.

Getting the correct nozzle is fairly obvious, higher flow rates or spray pattern will knock everything out! Check the engineering plate to see what kw output your boiler is meant to be and get right nozzle.
Better to turn down the oil pressure and over air that get too high CO2 and sooting!

PS. don't forget to desoot all the baffles now they are black

Thanks for that.

The plate has worn out, so I can only go by the manual I downloaded.

I hoovered it out, it was that bad the burner wouldn't run inside the boiler.

What creates the soot?

On these, I'd check that the baffles aren't too restricting......even if it means a trim with an angle grinder.
John :)

I think this has already been done causeing bad side effects, the flue gas temp is high at around 300oc.

Is it a conventional chimney? I've had problems with soot etc on non balanced flue systems. Regularly flue problems.

Well funny you should say that someone has given me an excuse of easterly winds..! The flue is fairly exposed and is running a conventional flue due to the cover missing off the burner.

setting c0 above 12% was asking for trouble. If commissioning print off @ 12% then wind it back to 11.5 %.
Are you using a smoke pump ? first and last tool to use if any doubt a the pump never lies.
Also try a narrower nozzle 60' is less likely to give impingement even if less efficient.

Co? You mean co2 I was only going by the manual.

Tbh I don't have a smoke pump and I know I should :oops: I will get one.

I think I will go back to a 60o nozzle as there was a build up of soot and crud on the bottom of the blast tube and you can't adjust the head on this model.

Shall I go back to a w from Delavan or stick with a eh with danfoss?

Thanks for everyone's advise.

yes C02. You must get a pump if your servicing oil boilers. You get smoke at 10.5% sometimes. The manufactures instructions are guidance only and you set to their instructions only if achievable so if its set at 12% it doesnt mean its correct if its smoking so you have to wind it back. If the problems have been since changing from the Delaven then go back to that. I look after a boiler which has run happily on the sam Delaven for 15 years. Changed it once and it sooted in a fortnight so stuck old one back in.

yes C02. You must get a pump if your servicing oil boilers. You get smoke at 10.5% sometimes. The manufactures instructions are guidance only and you set to their instructions only if achievable so if its set at 12% it doesnt mean its correct if its smoking so you have to wind it back. If the problems have been since changing from the Delaven then go back to that. I look after a boiler which has run happily on the sam Delaven for 15 years. Changed it once and it sooted in a fortnight so stuck old one back in.

That's excellent! Thanks for that, brilliant piece of info.

I have just ordered a smoke pump, will order a new Delavan and fit that.

Thanks again.

What creates the soot?

Soot "basically" is unburnt fuel. That is there wasn't enough oxygen present at time of combustion for the fuel to fully burn. Hence I suggested "over airing" the combustion chamber.
Its very easy make a slight change and ruin the whole burning process!

What creates the soot?

Soot "basically" is unburnt fuel. That is there wasn't enough oxygen present at time of combustion for the fuel to fully burn. Hence I suggested "over airing" the combustion chamber.
Its very easy make a slight change and ruin the whole burning process!

Co is unburnt fuel tho isn't it?

If so something must of changed since it was setup.

Ok, fitted a new nozzle today Delavan .60 60w, got FGA results @ 35 co , 9.1 co2 @ 100psi.

Didn't have time to fiddle, not sure if a low co2 is good or bad?

And advice greatfully received.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back